Alternative 90's headset?

399road":36dr5twy said:
Hi, just collecting some 90''s parts up for my 1993 M and B Dronfield and I need a nice headset. The bike has a worn out Veloce one. I've decided to upgrade the group set from Veloce to Record, but can't believe how much a used 93 one is! Anyway...this got me looking at alternatives. I can get a brand new 2015 Record one which looks completely wrong with the bold Record logo across it for about 40 quid. Others I've seen are used Stronglite Delta, used Mavic and some really 90's looking Miche ones. The other alternative is to pull my immaculate 90''s Record one out of my old Lo Pro and stick a Dura Ace in this to match it's groupset. The Miche seems to be the better option and I thought J E James had one, but they're out of stock. Can anyone suggest anything else or anywhere I could get a Miche one from? It is a 1" threaded headset and the brand new Record one seems dead tempting, but I know it'll annoy me to hell, when it isn't period correct.Thanks....Luke.

What I did with mine was to use the old top nut with the new headset. I don't know if there's any difference in the finish between your Veloce and the new Record but the minor difference between my old Super Record and the new Record isn't noticeable until you get very close.

Mark.

I agree with little Al about the Stronglight A9
I have run an old one on my Merckx for many years and its a great headset. I am about to buy another to put on my Mercian as it needs a new one and They are great value as well.

Jamie

This is the bike I'm after a decent headset for. Slowly I'm upgrading the original groupset to Record, but I still think a Mavic or Miche would suit it with it being a bit quirky.

That's really nice and I think a Record, Stronglight A9 or a Miche would suite it and either of these would look right at home.

Jamie

Would agree about the Stronglight Delta and A9, Hilary Stone has them I think, also a chap on ebay who trades as 'Hard to find bikes' however I think he only sells them inc fitting.

The Miche one your referring to is called a 'performance' I think, the one with the angled black plastic band around the nuts? They're very easily available on the internet and they seem great out of the box, the one I had gave me a lot of trouble though and I wouldn't buy one again, look nice though and cheap.

I've currently got a Stronglight X14 which is my favourite threaded headset yet, a bit unusual looking (similar to the miche) and works very nicely, they come up easily on google.

Thanks. I'd better measure the stack height of this Veloce one and see what will work. Good info that matey.

Latest posts

Back