Alpine road bike

moffyr72

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1158

Have just won this.. Bought it as it's small (like me) and I like the colourscheme.

Anyone know of the marque? Mainly out of interest more than anything. A quick google has brought nothing to the fore although Im sure I had one of these BITD..

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
will it be a matter of nerves when box finally arrives and you open the parcel and see the bike in the skin for the first time !

i find it quite nice when the bike turns out to be a lot better than expected .

enjoy your new purchase

:D Thanks biggs! Yes im already pacing up and down and rechecking the auction pics..
It looks fairly honest as far as condition goes and if it turns out to be a BSO, that doesnt matter really, however if it turns up to be a hidden gem im going to have to treat it with a level of respect when doing it up..
It's big enough to fit me, small enough that my 13yo son can use it and rough enough that we'll have plenty of fun times doing it up.. :cool:

Just got to make sure the missus is at work when it arrives so i can disguise it before she sees ive bought another bike this month.. :oops:

my purchases always turn up when i am at work , so i get a text or e mail telling me of there arrival . from that moment till i open box its always a bit of a worry just in case , so normally always open in garage out of sight of prying eyes .

must admit have brought and sold loads of bikes and frames on e bay and have always sold on the pups no trouble

waiting for 1 to turn up soon , not quite sure what to expect but all pics look good so will have to see .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230715763622? ... 1423.l2649

its a a Hirame racer from early 80's also from scotland like yours .

happy christmas

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
hi, im a new member on here, wondering how the alpine turned out? i was gonna bid on it a couple of sundays ago, it was the second choice if i hadnt won a small framed dave lloyd that ended an hour earlier, :LOL:

It turned up today!
It's in very good shape really, the pics did it no justice. faded paint which will TCut up a treat, gears work fine, wheels are true, just needs a bit of time cleaning it and generally servicing it.
It's heavy though!! like REALLY heavy. Raleigh Grifter heavy.. the frame is very thick.. luxuriously so. You could go dirt jumping on it and it wouldnt flex at all!
The wheels are akin to something off a main battle tank. It's a substantial bit of kit. I'd say 'Bike shaped object' but it isnt really. I'd say it has been built to last as a design feature rather than just being built out of heavy old iron.. if you see what i mean.
Only references i find on it at first look is 'Alpine' on the head, downtube and seat tube, 'falcon' on the gear lever strap i think it was.. and a BS approval sticker to MOORE LITTLE and Co Ltd.
I dont know if that means it is a BSO and mass made by them back in the day, or whether they imported it and got it BS approved like one might do with a japanese toy and CE approval nowadays.. The only 'Alpine' references on the net i can find are for something american..

Any ideas anyone?

Ive decided next time I buy a pushbike, it will be named. This is the second bike ive had to research, although it is interesting, it also frustrates!!

I'll take pics soon and investigate the parts on it in daylight for info

Well ive took some closer pics,
http://photobucket.com/alpineracer
I could do with trying to date it as well as identify the maker's details.
anyone recognise or have an idea on the parts its fitted with? Falcon rear mech, falcon cable stay on the downtube,

Im guessing at 1970's but any advance on that would be grand. paint is in good nick, black with a gentle metalflake sheen to it. (where before id said faded paint.. its actually been covered..brushed.. in oil to protect it whilst stored, the fading is in fact old oil on it. its been wd40'd and is getting wshed and polished tomorrow..)

Ha..
General Product Safety
When first enacted, in 1983, the major requirement of PBSR was to ensure that every new bicycle sold conformed to the British Standard for bicycles: BS6102 part 1
So its 1983 as a minimum, as thats when that was introduced as law, so why it was marked..
Any advances?

looks ok , best way to date is looking at components to see when they were made , a lot of brake calipers have the date of manufacture stamped on them as do wheel hubs and stems

Hmm we're stripping the brakes apart tomorrow to clean and polish, so will pay attention to looking for markings and dates stamps.
I did notice the BB had the serial number stamped on it so will look at it tomorrow too.
Im taking it as a well built BSO. Son has nicked my lights, put them on it and has sodded off out.
He loves it and said by text it's 'very fast' ... which means he's not heeded the warning about the old tyres and is going flat out everywhere. Hohum.
He's more into BMX and MTBs but hes took a right shine to the Alpine, which I was surprised at. I thought he wouldve turned his nose up at it. :LOL: :LOL:

Back