Allez headset

AzonicIAN

Retro Newbie
Hi.
I've just started to build a specialized allez epic frame and forks to use on the turbo trainer and the odd ride out but I'm having some trouble with the headset.

I borught a cheap Chinese one off Ebay and both top and bottom cups just drops into the head tube, you can spin round and pull them out with out any force whatsoever.

Obviously my first thought was the headset was at fault so I bought a better FSA one and had the same problem. The head tube doesn't look worn, stretched out or misshapen at all. Dose any know what the internal size of the head tube and the part of the headset that inserts in to the frame should be? It's a 1 inch headset

Thanks

Re:

Obvious question is (meant non patronisingly) are you sure you need a 1 inch headset, not a 1 1/8? That would explain the looseness. But it would be mega loose.

If it's not that loose, you could try wrapping a bit of painters masking tape round the cups and then insert into the headtube. Needs to be masking tape, as it's papery rather than electrical tape which stretches

Re: Re:

pigman":142lf7bp said:
Obvious question is (meant non patronisingly) are you sure you need a 1 inch headset, not a 1 1/8? That would explain the looseness. But it would be mega loose.

If it's not that loose, you could try wrapping a bit of painters masking tape round the cups and then insert into the headtube. Needs to be masking tape, as it's papery rather than electrical tape which stretches

Definitely a 1inch headset they drops into the head tube but there isn't much play maybe half a millimetre.

As for the masking tape, I did think about doing something along those line but only as a last resort.

Is this a problem that anyone has come across before?

Back