All things Canadian.....

I didn't realize BLT light's were built in the Syncros shop for while, they built them just down the road from me in Nelson for quite some time in the 90's. Right next to the Nelson Brewery!

Re: Re:

j0nnyr0cket":gkslrd3i said:
who was the dealer for those TBLs in the GTA? Silent Sports? i seem to remember seeing them there when i bought what I thought was my first REAL bike, a giant atx 760 with some weird marble paint i think. LOL!

Jimi..I have often thought it was weird that we canucks dont have the same network of meetups and we converse with one another via a UK based forum (or instagram ;) ) maybe its because the limeys are packed closer together, not as if we can just organize a vintage group ride and expect everyone to truck up to Banff for the weekend.

It was silent sports. Most of their bikes were imports but they did a few higher end ones in house. Pretty sure this is one of them.

This Hurricane is a pretty nice frame. I gave it to someone who will give it a better home.

There's a way bigger BC scene for vintages. There's like a dozen or so it seems around the GTA and i haven't seen a vintage mtb in the Don this year!

dillbike":2ghco3rf said:
I didn't realize BLT light's were built in the Syncros shop for while, they built them just down the road from me in Nelson for quite some time in the 90's. Right next to the Nelson Brewery!

I didn't either but apparently the very early ones were made in Syncros factory and distributed by them. BLT has been around since 87ish. I was told they used to acquire returned battery packs from drills and what not and remove he good cells for their water bottle battery packs. That was very early on.

Re:

Same out here in Durham, no retros, i get some weird looks, mostly from kids. The odd thumbs up though from people driving when the bikes are on the roof rack or lots of nostalgia at the LBS from the mechanics who know good old gear when they see it.

I think he first made them in Winnipeg before moving out to BC. Those black plastic ones aren't originals, they are second gen. The first ones were metal chrome plated coned shaped and attached with a bit alum angle. I have one somewhere and can take a pic if you're interested

BC":1lywv3fj said:
I think he first made them in Winnipeg before moving out to BC. Those black plastic ones aren't originals, they are second gen. The first ones were metal chrome plated coned shaped and attached with a bit alum angle. I have one somewhere and can take a pic if you're interested

Yep - had a set of those (chrome/cone ones) ... fabulous for mid-night blasts through the UBC Endowment forest trails (before they got all gentrified) !!

Ahhh ... those were the days: hard-tail steel frames and no front shox, two inch tires max, 30 yrs younger, and no park-board riding rules imposed yet.

Re:

I have seen pics of those early BLT lights. They are cool. Mine are going to go on a 1988-9 Blizzard. My restorations keep getting more involved. Add electrical engineering :|

They could have started in Winnipeg. There's a local guy here that worked at Syncros BITD that has some good insites on the early days. Lots of stories :)

89ish Douglas. Mash-up of newer parts needs to be rectified.

IMG_2430_zps0ireyojm.jpg

Oh nice Douglas, Stu! We didn't get many out here on the coast and I was lucky to save a mostly original one from the crusher a few months ago

Back