Advice please for Marzocchi xc500 rebuild

Out_dawes 531

Retro Newbie
Seemed a great idea at the time but having carefully begun the disassembly, I'm stuck (well stanchions or tubes are).

Attached are the pics of the various circlips etc already removed. I have removed one of the grub screws at the base of the stanchion but this seems to make no difference to removal.

I have taken the forks to most of my LBSs and motorbike shops without success.

Started this as I liked the lightness and smooth nature of the forks but they had started to loose air pressure after a short ride, there was no oil leakage.

Any ideas, Please.

Attachments

• marz xc500REVA.jpg
    marz xc500REVA.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 939
PM me your email address - I have a service manual. I would advise you, but it's been a year since I did it so can't remember!

Thanks Orange71 for the manual.

My problem seems to be none of the LBSs have the Marzocchi tool 17 (Stanchion support plug) to prevent ovalising the stanchion when placing the fork tube in the vice.

Are there any alternative methods to the use of a protective vice & insert to pull the stanchion from the tube?

Thanks

I seem to remember the stanchions coming out by hand - with a firm tug - I assume you've tried this? Else, can you shape some blocks of wood or tough rubber to protect them while in the vice?

Hi Out_dawes 531,

Did you managed to get it working ?

Hi

Dawes 531 only made five posts in total and those were 10 years ago
You could be in for a long wait

If you want help try kraeMit on here who has a website dedicated to old Marzocchi

Attachments

• 1049EBCF-6CE4-4B1F-A829-3636C397C86B.png
    1049EBCF-6CE4-4B1F-A829-3636C397C86B.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 270
Haha!
You're oh so right ! I was really fishig in a dead lake here...

I'll check kraeMit (although his website is down right now).

Thank you !

Sorry, my website is paused, thanks to EU-DSGVO / GDPR. I need some time to fix this.

Feel free to ask if you have a problem for this older forks from the 90's or need something to service one.

No worries

If I could help yah I would, and if KreaMit can’t help we might as well all pack up and go home to buy modern tat

use the crown and/or top cap for the stanchion holder.
If you cannot tug it out, then put a bit of oil in, secure the top cap in again and pump it up.
that should separate them. just remember oil may spurt out.

Latest posts

Back