Advice Needed: Derailleur Hanger Replacement

7Speed

Retro Guru
This weekend I went out on my Reilly 600SL despite knowing the derailleur hanger was not in great shape.The material was soft and a little bendy and I had re-aligned it recently and followed up with Reilly for a replacement. A couple of weeks of riding should be OK right? An hour into my Sunday ride the rear mech went into the wheel (impressive from the 11th out of 12 gears) and tore apart the derailleur hanger. I felt suitably stupid - especially for risking such a nice bike. Frame OK but replacing the RED eTap mech is expensive. I contacted Reilly today and the story changed from “we are just having a few made up” to “we are looking at options where to source them”. Not looking like it will be quick. Any advice on how to go about getting a decent replacement hanger made up? Ideally made out of something less malleable. The one I have is in a couple of pieces and bent out of shape…so not a great template…

it's a lego part isn't it? you know what it looks like, go hunting, it's not like Reilly make them, they just pick it from a list.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to measure up and get something that looks right. What could go worng (again)?

I just looked on an eBay shop like the link below (can't remember exactly which shop). The site gave a clue as to which manufacturers use which dropout, and this together with a good visual comparison told me which one. Mine was about £25

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you can't easily find one off-the-shelf then see if there's a small engineering shop or fabricator near you. As long as you have the original (presume it's in 2 bits now?) they should be able to make something that works. Copying the exact shape isn't critical, as long as the 2 holes (for frame and mech) and any anti-rotation tab are in the right places then it will work.

Frustrating reply from Reilly, why could they not have told you the truth when you first asked?

Let us know how you get on.

If you can't easily find one off-the-shelf then see if there's a small engineering shop or fabricator near you. As long as you have the original (presume it's in 2 bits now?) they should be able to make something that works. Copying the exact shape isn't critical, as long as the 2 holes (for frame and mech) and any anti-rotation tab are in the right places then it will work.

Frustrating reply from Reilly, why could they not have told you the truth when you first asked?

Let us know how you get on.
I was thinking an online fab shop type place, make a CAD (cardboard aided design) version to check, then transfer in to CAD (the other sort) then send it on it's way. but figured it would cost more than 25 quid to make one.

still a jelly bean part though so should be something out there that matches.

A local place that you can just walk in and speak to the guy would be quickest and cheapest. This obviously depends on where you live but have a scout around, you never know.

I got a replacement hanger for my boys Vitus from here.
Worth contacting them with some photos to see if they can help.

Once a replacement is found & fitted do make sure it's properly aligned with an alignment tool to ensure the derailleur hangs properly for precise changing and also to prevent it catching on the spokes (once properly adjusted!)

Last edited:
I was thinking an online fab shop type place, make a CAD (cardboard aided design) version to check, then transfer in to CAD (the other sort) then send it on it's way. but figured it would cost more than 25 quid to make one.

still a jelly bean part though so should be something out there that matches.
Given its 3k+ frame the 25 quid hanger is not a problem. It’s a unique design - nothing on the net looks close.

Back