Achievable weight loss

We but 3-4kg's of the stuff a week . . . . .

Down to 1 in my tea now.. will phase in drinking less tea and more water and with not eating brekkie, I'll be taking even less..

Now if I could just get a handle on salt intake too :LOL:

cyfa2809":s08d9u7z said:
wow im awfully confused
if eating lots of meals doesnt increase your metabolism then i dont know what to believe
so many things
I think that's the thing - it probably started off as a rumour - perhaps well intentioned, years ago, that people then accepted as absolute truth.

However, the science and studies say no notable affect on the metabolic rate.

As I mentioned, there may (for some) be some advantages in terms of satiety, or hormone response that helps with adherence. But just as many people find that more smaller meals, when they're dieting, mean they don't feel fulfilled by meals - and for them, fewer larger meals matter. That's especially of relevance to people on IF or VLCD (probably cyclical) diets.

IDB1":1yd4h3sn said:
Overall.. the formula (as Neil said) is CICO . . eat less, work more.. basically ;)
That's about as far into the science of the thing as I need to go..

My biggest 'sin' is sugar... up until today, I would guess at having up to the equivalent of about 40 tea spoons a day... usually more like 20-30 - roughly
A dozen cups of tea with 2 (sometimes 3) in each... just for starters..

Snacking on sugar on toast or sugar sarnies... not every day but a couple of times a week

2 (rounded) dessert spoons of the stuff on my brekkie (which I am no longer partaking in)

And eat a (level tea) spoonful of the stuff sometimes while making the tea...

And that's before choccie bars (couple a week), what's already in cereal, desserts. . . and on and on...

I have to say, though, once I passed 40 (in years!!) I found it easier to shed weight than in the preceding 15 years... hence my lax attitude to empty calories :?
Simple sugars, and for that matter, higher carb contents in diet, can cause people more problems than they realise - especially when trying to lose weight / fat.

Many see dietary fat as the pariah in diets, and whilst some types may be best to avoid or minimise, other macronutrients can be much more problematic in terms of appetite control, and losing / storing bodyfat.

kaiser":3qwxy6ll said:
2lbs a week is a good steady target. You could try introducing some simple 'rules' each week. Get at least your 5 a day, drink 2l of water, eat a big healthy breakfast, cut out/limit sugar. Another thing is to moderate, don't ban your favourite foods or alcohol but reserve them for the weekend or a particular night. Once you've introduced these basic measures you could look at refining what you do.Small steps is the key, let the body adapt. This is what I do anyway, I've been on and of the bifta wagon for donks :)
Just re-read the 1st page of the thread.

The above is good, solid advice. There's a few key things, there, that make loads of sense - veggies (which I personally struggle with), limiting sugar, being moderate and not banning some things you really like - but containing them, and small steps.

All sounds very simple, but that is great advice.

One other thing, if you do commit to dieting for a while - metabolic slowdown does occur after a few days of dieting. Many address that by either cheat meals / cheat days, or, say, a weak of maintenance calories after dieting for 4, or something like that. Worth mentioning, if you do the cheat meal / day thing every so often, it can help resetting or reducing metabolic slowdown - but if it's carbs you crave for those times, then make sure you very much control your fat intake if you're going high carbs for cheats.

We do eat fresh veg regularly but 5 a day isn't happening.. not at the mo anyway.. everybody luuurves the veggies :cool:
Hearty brekkie.. already dealt with that ;)
Alcohol.. rarely drink, not an issue..

cutting out brekkie and back on sugar is easiest (and is what works for me.. historically).. so I'll start there.. ;)
That and more exercise . . .

IDB1":s5i30udj said:
We do eat fresh veg regularly but 5 a day isn't happening.. not at the mo anyway.. everybody luuurves the veggies :cool:
Hearty brekkie.. already dealt with that ;)
Alcohol.. rarely drink, not an issue..

cutting out brekkie and back on sugar is easiest (and is what works for me.. historically).. so I'll start there.. ;)
That and more exercise . . .
Most discussions on diet will include metabolism, and there's plenty of canards on things that will speed it up.

Sustained dieting and weight loss do slow it down (as well as other, undesirable effects).

But there are real things that do have a positive effect on metabolic rate - exercise / activity, increase in LBM - those have clear effects. Some dietary components and supplements can, too - eg caffeine.

:( Ian I can know where your going regarding the weight thing.

I'm afraid I didn't eat anything, for 10 days. I lost around a stone in weight. But I would not recommend this.

Walking wise, try some new places as well, to keep the interest up.

If your finding the change of scene refreshing it makes it easier.

I find swimming enjoyable & can't walk a lot personally due to my dud left leg

passiflora

I have duff right ankle and left elbow... random bad back... neck... right foot (arthritis from ankle trauma) yadda yadda

We're walking with the dogs, and lurchers certainly help keep a brisk pace :LOL:

Local 2mile circuit for now, couple of times a day by next week...

Bit fitter and I'll work out some longer walks, building up to 12miles at a time (which is where I was at 2 years ago :roll: )

Interspersed with cycling and I reckon job's a good'n :cool:

Back