A sense of inner peace - the paranoia of the retro build ...

Every bike I build has to be a rider (although you should have see me doing giant slalom on the LOTUS:eek:, took it rather steady😂) so I have a pathological fear of NOS parts, I like parts to be in good condition but not perfect, so I have qualms about giving them a good thrashing.
Good lad!

I joined RB around 10 years ago when I first started out with the crazy notion to retro/resto-mod my P7 with as much British kit as I could find. In the dark depths of my mind I think MBUK did something similar, though I can't remember very much about it at all. If anyone has a recollection (or a scan) that would be awesome. For some reason I think it was an aluminium frame, maybe a Bigfoot with hydraulic brakes (IBC perhaps)

My build won't be period correct by a long way, but will be what I couldn't afford when I was a teenager (and an evolution of that, so for example I'm using Pro3's instead of period Hopes). Finally pulled the trigger on a factory respray - and it looks awesome.

It'll be a build that will divide opinion - and I'm still looking for parts, but it'll make me immensely happy and will be a bike I'll keep forever. The ultimate incarnation of what I consider perfect. I guess it'll be ready when it's ready. Trying not to use NOS parts for the sole reason that they have got silly expensive - it's all there to be used so I would happily slap it on if I needed to.

I do admire the catalogue builds - they bring back some very good memories. It's horses for courses I guess.

Back