A sense of inner peace - the paranoia of the retro build ...

Although I don't do it myself, I admire the catalogue spec restorers. A mint catalogue spec retro bike hits the nostalgia buttons in a very particular way - bringing back memories of nose pressed up against the window of local bike shops, poring through mags, even that new bike smell and feel etc. Long may you continue.
That new bike smell - ironically in later life I ended up living next door to the bike shop that tortured my teenage self with unobtanium GT and Marin. Stood in the right place in my back garden you could literally get a good whiff of that new bike smell coming out of the eaves of the shop! My Mrs thought it was a bit strange.

Although I don't do it myself, I admire the catalogue spec restorers. A mint catalogue spec retro bike hits the nostalgia buttons in a very particular way - bringing back memories of nose pressed up against the window of local bike shops, poring through mags, even that new bike smell and feel etc. Long may you continue.
Thank you.

Personally I love the “Hunter gatherer” part of a catalogue correct build, but I also like riding my bikes and quite often as has already been mentioned some of the “correct” parts are either no longer suitable to use (particularly consumables) or just aren’t that nice to use, so pretty much all my catalogue builds have a labelled box of correct parts that are in the loft having been replaced with something more practicable.

Personally I love the “Hunter gatherer” part of a catalogue correct build, but I also like riding my bikes and quite often as has already been mentioned some of the “correct” parts are either no longer suitable to use (particularly consumables) or just aren’t that nice to use, so pretty much all my catalogue builds have a labelled box of correct parts that are in the loft having been replaced with something more practicable.
100% agree with the hunting down parts bit, so much fun and very satisfying. And I also switch out any iffy (or otherwise in need of preservation) original parts for more serviceable replacements, keeping the catalogue stuff in storage so the bike can be ridden and enjoyed before being returned to catalogue state.

The cherry on top for me & I think also for @yakboy is when I find that “correct” or specific part as cheap as chips, give it some time & effort then smile that self satisfied smile when I spy the same part advertised for a king’s ransom 😎

Last edited:
The cherry on top for me & I think also @yakboy is when I find that “correct” or specific part for as cheap as chips, give it some time & effort then smile that self satisfied smile when I spy the same part advertised for a king’s ransom 😎
Well said 😀 It's all about the search.

The cherry on top for me & I think also @yakboy is when I find that “correct” or specific part for as cheap as chips, give it some time & effort then smile that self satisfied smile when I spy the same part advertised for a king’s ransom 😎
I agree with you completely. I’m not the best myself at posting a thread as I accumulate/renovate/rebuild as I assume no one is interested in the minutiae of what I’m doing - yet that’s what I enjoy the most in everyone’s build threads!
It can be a long game waiting for the right parts to appear, sometimes it’s not even the case that throwing a pile of cash at it will find what you are after (I’m not in a position to do this!). Finding that elusive part at the right price often not in the best condition then bringing it back to life is so satisfying.

Just wondering, if folk who build “catalogue spec” bikes but never ride them.. get as much pleasure out of a build as those who build them and ride the **** out of them 😂

Just wondering, if folk who build “catalogue spec” bikes but never ride them.. get as much pleasure out of a build as those who build them and ride the **** out of them 😂
Every bike I build has to be a rider (although you should have see me doing giant slalom on the LOTUS:eek:, took it rather steady😂) so I have a pathological fear of NOS parts, I like parts to be in good condition but not perfect, so I have qualms about giving them a good thrashing.

Back