A no Holds Barred 'Why I love' thread!

The 'little things' that dial the bike in just right

Madison/Delta Aztec brake pads

Air-B or Madison/Delta Latex tubes

RideOn cables with the yellow liners

Odyssey pedals

Answer Hyperlite bars

Ti Flite

Ergon grips - between computers and bikes my wrists need more love than retro grips can provide

Mystery Frame ID

Lovem, searching and searching, noting the differnces between everybodys guesses and eventually...

Finding out that you were wrong/ right/ still none the wiser all along.

legrandefromage":2t5aclzd said:
Mystery Frame ID

Lovem, searching and searching, noting the differnces between everybodys guesses and eventually...

Finding out that you were wrong/ right/ still none the wiser all along.

I don't have the knowledge to get much right in these, so I keep my guessing to myself, but I do google a bit and it is fun to do a treasure hunt.

I love being reminded about all the cottage industry style operations that existed back in the early days. The beauty and simplicity of taking your passion and making it a business is a model I have tried to emulate over and over in life. Who cares in the end if you don't get rich?

The ability to make things happen is a testament to one of the greatest traits of the good people of the USA & Canada, the pioneering spirit.

The fact that the cycling industry can be approached from many dinstinct ways, the pencil behind the ear craftsman to the CAD savvy design junky, and the intersection between the two, is what makes the history of the bicycle so dynamic and rich.

This site feeds into that like few others; bringing together a diverse number of those interested and involved over what is a relatively short burst of intense growth and development.

Thumb shifters - Either 200GS or XT, Shimano or Suntour, I just love them.

Straight Rigid Forks - Be they Project 2's, RC30's, Answer Accutrax or Tange Switchblades (or any other makes I don't have), I just think a bike looks better with them.

The Unexpected - when you find a bike or part where you wouldn't expect to........... The possibility's are endless ;)

Lost & Found - Finding parts you think/know you have, but can't remember where they were/are. Probably a sign of (old) age.

Old Rides - Riding where ever you did BITD and still getting a buzz. For me its Godlingston Hill in the Purbecks. As rocky as it ever was and still a pain to ride up but an absolute blast to go down.

The what (and the why)

:cool: E-stay MTBs (e-stay geometry makes for a great center of balance)
:) Steel frames (great response, tough, easily repaired when compared to other frame materials, will last a lifetime if properly cared for)
:) Biopace (smooth power)
:) Deore XT STI with 2-finger brake levers and under the bar push-push shifters (great control)
:) XT pedals with clips and straps (secure enough when I need it, loose enough if I need to bail quickly)
:) Ritchey Megabyte tires (fantastic grip on both dirt and pavement)
:cool: Riding wheelies (great sense of mobility and freedom)
:) Riding alone (my schedule, my plan, and I can change it at any time)
:) Finding new trails (keeps it interesting)
:) Constantly trying to outdo my previous feats in spite of the aging process (keeps it exciting)
:) Lite Beer (tastes great, less filling)
:shock: Shipping containers (lots and lots of secure storage space for my growing collection)
:D :cool: The vast body of knowledge that is Retrobike (I’m always learning “new” things……about old bikes)

Back