98 hei hei seat post size

Kilawayah Child

Old School Hero
I'd thought all old Konas had a seat size of 27.0; but I've taken a 27.0 (out of my 95 Kilauea) and put it into a 98 hei hei size 19". There seems to be a bit more room in the hei hei. I don't want to put a 27.2 into this frame if it is the wrong size. Any advise from anybody.

generally,the post should have zero play in the seattube. If a 27,2 slides in easy without play,then its the one! no harm trying..

I've got a '93 model and it's definately a 27.2 in that, only checked it the other day

Should be 27.0, however some owners have had their frames modified to accept 27.2 as good layback 27.0 posts are hard to get hold of these days.

Also worth checking how close your 27.0 post is to 27.0.

Kilawayah Child":f7hca0s4 said:
I'd thought all old Konas had a seat size of 27.0; but I've taken a 27.0 (out of my 95 Kilauea) and put it into a 98 hei hei size 19". There seems to be a bit more room in the hei hei. I don't want to put a 27.2 into this frame if it is the wrong size. Any advise from anybody.
No they vary, I have three Explosifs/Kilaueas that happily take a 27.2 and three that won't. Maybe they should all be the same, I don't know, but they're not.

My rule of thumb is that if a 27.0 falls down the tube just under gravity, then most likely a 27.2 will fit and it's worth trying one. Always provided, as Andrew rightly says, that the 27.0 that you're using as a gauge is a genuine 27.0.

And the bottom line is surely that you should use the biggest size that will fit easily, without being unduly difficult to adjust, turn etc. Using the next size down from that will put a strain on the seat tube.

Back