97 San Andreas revival

drcarlos":1v3sn3r8 said:
I like this but want to offer a word of caution as unless you have specific formula brakes you won't find a disc caliper that fits the bomber as they had some odd mounting dimensions.

Carl

Cheers for that Carl, I can feel some fabrication coming on as I'd been planning to fit some unused Magura Clara's I have kicking about.

Forks aren't such a big deal for the 'FS - Formula Standard' 48mm mounting as you can make an adaptor fairly easily...but those BAMs might be IS anyway? Pretty simple to check, 51mm centres in the brake mount = IS, 48mm centres = FS.

shogun":1x2zk2sa said:
Forks aren't such a big deal for the 'FS - Formula Standard' 48mm mounting as you can make an adaptor fairly easily...but those BAMs might be IS anyway? Pretty simple to check, 51mm centres in the brake mount = IS, 48mm centres = FS.

They are I.S 51mm, same as my 98 Bam Z1's which ran Hope calipers :)

Yep no troubles then! Me on the otherhand, I have a thermoplastic GT DH frameset with FS mounts on the back and only clearance for a 140mm rotor (e.g. can't make an IS adaptor)...troubles!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nope, not to hijack the post but mine is a DH frameset with factory FS mounts built into the seatstay. I could buy one of those IF I also bought a non-disc seatstay I guess...but the GT Super High End CNC hubset for it is specific to Formula Evoluzione 4 bolt mounting.

shogun":34xer84n said:
Nope, not to hijack the post but mine is a DH frameset with factory FS mounts built into the seatstay. I could buy one of those IF I also bought a non-disc seatstay I guess...but the GT Super High End CNC hubset for it is specific to Formula Evoluzione 4 bolt mounting.

Have you gat any pictures?

Re: update

Its been a few weeks since my last post so thought I'd snap a few quick pics and fire em up, I'll try and get a few in the sun tomorrow.

Finally got around to fitting the new BB and Raceface chainset, The Magura Clara brakes proved to be a minor headache as they sat to far inboard once bolted up which left Me with no room to centralize them to the discs, a bit of minor milling work to the bolting faces sorted the problem, Thanks once again to Casper for sending me some rear caliper mounts free of charge!

The magura's are currently fitted dry/un-bled, I've not read good reviews on Clara's with people complaining about bleed issues and poor feel at the lever but only time will tell.
I couldn't resist fitting a few decals the rest of which will be fitted once final polishing has been carried out.

My next job will be to source a groupset which I'd hoped to be Sram X9 but due to the coda freehub being an 8spd may go with an older XT RD-M739 build.

Milling the Clara's...

Back