'96 Kona Kilauea - The Anti-white

Frame

Drop outs would indicate a Cindercone with the Kona Logo moulded into them, had a few Cindercones and that era had those, not seen a Kili with any though.

stevecrx":28x2npj6 said:
Because I believe it is. I bought it in good faith from a close friend who apparently stripped turquoise paint off it before having the last powdercoating put on (see pics at the start of the thread).
What I have done for piece of mind is contact Kona to see if they can give me a definitive answer. If it does turn out to be a cindercone then I won't buy the decal as I have no wish to mislead anyone as to is authenticity. Hope this makes you happy.
Kona won't be able to tell you what model it is from the serial number. If you know the history and it was previously turquoise, then you would indeed have evidence that it is a 96 Kilauea. Here are pictures of a 96 Kilauea and a 95 Cinder Cone that you could maybe use to jog your friend's memory.

Attachments

• 1995 Cinder Cone frame only size 19.jpg
    1995 Cinder Cone frame only size 19.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,344
  • 1996 Kilauea size 18, original tyres.jpg
    1996 Kilauea size 18, original tyres.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,344
Re: Frame

Wold Ranger":2azg4zef said:
Drop outs would indicate a Cindercone with the Kona Logo moulded into them, had a few Cindercones and that era had those, not seen a Kili with any though.

My '96 Kila has the Kona logo moulded into the drop out.

Re: Frame

konaman1":11tanqte said:
Wold Ranger":11tanqte said:

My '96 Kila has the Kona logo moulded into the drop out.

Checking the 97 CC last night it defo has it moulded as does the 96 CC.

Anthony":1ab42ay6 said:
stevecrx":1ab42ay6 said:
Because I believe it is. I bought it in good faith from a close friend who apparently stripped turquoise paint off it before having the last powdercoating put on (see pics at the start of the thread).
What I have done for piece of mind is contact Kona to see if they can give me a definitive answer. If it does turn out to be a cindercone then I won't buy the decal as I have no wish to mislead anyone as to is authenticity. Hope this makes you happy.
Kona won't be able to tell you what model it is from the serial number. If you know the history and it was previously turquoise, then you would indeed have evidence that it is a 96 Kilauea. Here are pictures of a 96 Kilauea and a 95 Cinder Cone that you could maybe use to jog your friend's memory.

I'm always curious how the pic of my old Cindercone keeps appearing on here lol

Back