96 Explosif frame/forks

looks more than a 19" to me, or am I wrong :?

still has its rear Magura HS11 on it, Velocity headset and stem are also OE.

will bring the seller good money ;)

Yes, it is a 19, but I expect that's what Magas meant to type - the point being that the seller is saying that it's an 18, which is wrong.

It's quite easy to tell when you have a decent sideways picture like number two here. Put a ruler/other straight edge along the tops of the tyres and there is roughly 14.7" of seat tube underneath that line (slightly less if the bike has an over-long fork, but that isn't the case here). So in a make like Kona where there is a 3" extension above the centre of the top tube connection, you can look at where the connection is relative to the line of the tops of the tyres - here just over an inch above, and you have 14.7 plus just over an inch plus 3 = 19.

To confirm, measure the length of the head tube relative to the distance from the fork brake posts to the axle (25cm) - here just over half, indicating a 13cm head tube, which is a size 19 for a Kona.

Sad this may be, but even sadder I think is the case of the 97 Explosif bought by Jones the other day at a very low BIN - another member spotted it before him, but didn't buy it because it was described as a 17 and he wanted an 18. But if he had measured it as above, he would have seen that it was in fact an 18 - and he would then have bought it and got himself a nice bargain.

And the very cheap Kilauea that Jacques has spotted on Gumtree is indeed a size 20 - even allowing for the skinny tyres, the line of the tops of mtb tyres would be over 2" below the top tube centre, and the head tube is c15cm.

Anthony":2bm6wbqt said:
Yes, it is a 19, but I expect that's what Magas meant to type - the point being that the seller is saying that it's an 18, which is wrong.

thanks Anthony; yes thats what I meant - wished my English would be better :oops:

my explosif frame

just measured the head tube, its 130mm, does this mean its a 19"
if so id better change ebay description.
thanks for your advice
thanks chris.

Re: my explosif frame

chrisfish10":2oez059m said:
just measured the head tube, its 130mm, does this mean its a 19"
if so id better change ebay description.
thanks for your advice
thanks chris.
I hesitate to say yes because I've told you this before and you evidently don't believe me, but yes, it's a size 19.

Kona head tubes are 9cm for size 16, 11cm for size 17 and 18, 13cm for size 19 and 15cm for size 20.

sorry for doubting you, its just i was sold the frame as an 18" and just assumed it was :oops:
have changed ebay listing to suite.
chris

Back