94 (I think) Kona AA

redaeston

Retro Newbie
A while ago I rescued my old Kona AA from my mums garage where its sat for a fair few years. It then spent another couple sat in mine but I have finally got round to sorting it out. Its pretty much original spec apart from the grips. The plan is to keep it as original as possible but at the same time I want a bike I can ride so I might have to compromise a bit. I don't know much about bike maintenance so its going to be a bit of a learning curve for me. My initial plan is to strip it down and get everything clean and tested to work out what need replacing.

At first glance I think the forks might be dead. There is fluid all over them and a crack in the steerer so unless I get lucky finding parts I think its going to be new forks. Any recommendations? I think the chain might be a gonner as well. Its rusted to hell and all seized up.

I need to work out what tools I need for the various jobs as well.

Love the Crud Bung in the underside of the steerer, such a simple and effective product but I haven't seen one in years.

For forks, the 'obvious' choice would be Project 2s, but the alu frame with a rigid fork could be pretty harsh. Some period Rock Shox or Manitous would suit it nicely.

Those forks are completely shagged. The crown has a huge crack shown in the picture and it looks like the internals are gone and it's sitting on the bottom out bumpers.

I'd check out fleabay for some old Pace, Rockshox or Marzocchi. There are plenty of decent forks knocking about which should work but I'd suggest that about 80mm travel is the most that frame will handle without cornering like a barge.

Br prepared to have to strip any forks you get down as they'll be about 15-20 years old. As a minimum you'll need to clean and grease them and probably replace the oil in the damper as well. Pace or Rockshox are probably easier to pull apart than Marzocchi if you're a bit worried about the technical stuff. Try and get something that's coil sprung rather than elastomers too.

Re:

Thanks for the offer of help. I am in Leeds so it would be a bit of a trek for you.

First of probably many stupid questions. How do I go about removing the fork?

Scratch that. It's off. Put it back for the moment so I don't loose the bearings though. Almost finished stripping it now. Everything else seems ok so it's just some forks to track down form the looks of it.

Well it should look pretty sweet when you've sorted it mate and shame about the forks but with luck it shouldn't be too long before you find a decent pair ..

Back