93 Rock Lobster (forking updated - 30/09)

Time for an update....
Finally got my hands on some 1" Rock Shox so I could move this forward.
To be honest, I'm not 100% happy with them and have my eye on an alternative ;)
Fitted the M737 front and rear mechs and matching chainset. CODA stem and Easton bars on too and thumbies, XTR V's and levers are robbed from my Jamis Dragon (which is being returned to original spec).
USE Spin Stix used on wheels and X-lite camlock stopping the seat from dropping :D
Still toying with different cable outer options but have started cabling up using black and think I will (probably) stick with that.
Couldn't resist a splash more yellow with the cable donuts :LOL:

DSC00967.jpg

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00970.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

(I know, 135 needed here ;) )

Depending on what happens with the forks I'm after, I'm hoping to get this finished in time for the bank holiday Purbecks retro-ride :cool:

clockworkgazz":2tgf4gnc said:
very cool indeed, just make sure those oury's are firmly clued on :cool:

glue is very messy, especially if you go through grips regularly :p
zip ties are neater, and fit in the oury grooves perfectly, just one zip tie towards the end of the grip/bar will hold nicely.

bike is looking great, though I would have to agree, the stem, (and handlebar), don't quite fit.

I have a Ringle black stem with yellow lettering in my 93---> FS thread that might look good; just click my link below to see what I mean. If not, perhaps a Salsa stem with just a slight bit of rise.

As for the handlebar, I'm just not into the garish Easton EA70 graphics, though I have no opinion on the bar itself.

GoldenEraMTB":3rcu2i98 said:
clockworkgazz":3rcu2i98 said:

zip ties are neater, and fit in the oury grooves perfectly, just one zip tie towards the end of the grip/bar will hold nicely.

bike is looking great, though I would have to agree, the stem, (and handlebar), don't quite fit.

I have a Ringle black stem with yellow lettering in my 93---> FS thread that might look good; just click my link below to see what I mean. If not, perhaps a Salsa stem with just a slight bit of rise.

As for the handlebar, I'm just not into the garish Easton EA70 graphics, though I have no opinion on the bar itself.

Agree on the bar/stem. This originaly started out as a me seeing a great deal on the frame and thinking 'I've got most of the kit to build that up into a nice 'budget' bike'.
As is the way, I've ended up buying near nos mechs, spent loads trying to find suitable forks (and still going :roll: ) and generaly not stuck to any budget :LOL:
This is going to be my main rider so function should be more important than form but I will be keeping my eyes peeled for a nicer stem, bars and seatpost ;)

Wow, this looks so good :cool:
Very clean and simple, nice welds and geometrie.
Agree with the stem/handlebars, Easton looks to modern imo.
Did you buy the frame NOS? It looks like new.

Jamis Diablo":c1r97kp0 said:
Wow, this looks so good :cool:
Very clean and simple, nice welds and geometrie.
Agree with the stem/handlebars, Easton looks to modern imo.
Did you buy the frame NOS? It looks like new.

Will change the Easton stuff as and when I see stuff. Just want to get riding it! I bought the frame from a retrobike member who had had it re-coated in the white but hadn't done anything else with it.
Gil sorted me the decals and away I went :D

makster":1dsvn779 said:
GoldenEraMTB":1dsvn779 said:
clockworkgazz":1dsvn779 said:

Agree on the bar/stem. This originaly started out as a me seeing a great deal on the frame and thinking 'I've got most of the kit to build that up into a nice 'budget' bike'.
As is the way, I've ended up buying near nos mechs, spent loads trying to find suitable forks (and still going :roll: ) and generaly not stuck to any budget :LOL:
This is going to be my main rider so function should be more important than form but I will be keeping my eyes peeled for a nicer stem, bars and seatpost ;)

ah....cool :cool:

Right then....after a fork saga of epic proportions, I've finaly been able to make progress :D
I bought some Pace RC36's from ebay a few weeks back, but I need to swap the steerer to a 1".
A quick call to Tim (justbackdated) and I had a nice new steerer and lightened shim winging its way to me.
Forks arrived.....and one of the stantions is damaged :roll:

DSC01196.jpg

Spoke to seller who offered me a refund, but I had to pay to post them back!
Told him to shove his refund and decided to carry on regardless.
First job was to remove the old 1 1/8" steerer. This wasn't easy!
The retaining bolts had been rounded so I had to drill small holes on the outside of the heads and use a pin punch to tap them loose.....

DSC01200.jpg

DSC01201.jpg

This took some patience (not something I'm blessed with :LOL: ) but I got there in the end.
Tapped the old steerer out and was ready to fit the shiney new one...

DSC01204.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

Fitted the shim to reduce to 1"...

DSC01208.jpg

and then pushed home the new steerer (should be long enough :D )

DSC01209.jpg

I was on 'stand-by' with work today so spent the time productively, just not for Siemens :D
Found some new fixings in my tool box....

DSC01211.jpg

Slotted the forks into place and stood back to take a look...

DSC01212.jpg

Marked the steerer where I needed to cut it and got busy with the hacksaw. Re-assembled everything, found a top-cap (need a black one!) and hey presto!!

DSC01213.jpg

DSC01214.jpg

Borrowing mates workstand later. Need to get the new chain fitted and then get fiddling with the gears etc.
May get out for a ride on Saturday :D :cool:

Back