91 Explosif Chainset Upgrade Advice Please

johnnyw

Dirt Disciple
Need some advice regards what I can fit chainset wise to a 91 Kona Explosif. Still has original Deore DX but well worn out now so would like to upgrade chainset and mechs.
How many rear cogs will it take and what options do I have as it's so old.
Really appreciate some help.
Thanks.
Johnny.

Sorry not being doing much with the Explosif, mainly newer stuff, but was having a look at the photos on here and want to get using it again.
Haven't a clue what fits and what doesn't, so don't know where to start or where to get bits.
Would like to replace with XT but is the old stuff still available? Will a more modern BB fit and give better options?
BB needs replacing anyway, anyone got any pointers.
Pardon my ignorance.

the rear spacing of your frame would i imagine be 135mm, so the world is your oyster on what set up you run. not sure if new 10 speed stuff is the same spacing but i think it is too.
you will need new wheels if you are going to go for more than 7 on the rear if your wheel is original, or at least a new free hub and the wheel redished, probably easier to get an 8/9 speed specific rear wheel if you gonna do this.

if your staying with square taper BBs un54's are still plentiful and come in all variety of axle lengths , un72,3,4 are also still around but getting harder to find. plenty of other makes types of bb you will also find here

if the DX is the original crank you might just want to get new rings and a new 7 speed cassette . I think a bike that old should be kept relatively period correct but then i like to hang modern tat on my later 90's bikes so what ever floats your boat.

lots of kona experts here for kona specific advice also, alas im not one ;)

A new and modern BB will fit just fine, although I cant recall off the top of my head what size one you need. It will be written on the shell of the old one when you remove it. £14 from your LBS and you are laughing!

Fitting a new drivetrain will work, but you will only be able to run a 7 spd cassette on that freehub which will limit your availability quite drastically! If it were me, I would pick up replacement bits on here that are 7spd and rebuild it that way. Then you get period correct parts and compatibility with your existing freehub.

Dont ask me to explain why you cant run a 9spd cassette on a 7spd freehub though, I am not 100% sure of the precise reason myself, something to do with re-dishing a wheel and what have you! Someone with better knowledge in this area will be along shortly to elaborate, I am sure!

;)

Fantastic Guys, many thanks.
Understand the 7 speed freewheel bit and would probably like to keep it pretty original as per your comments.
Any idea what model numbers I'm looking for XT Front and Rear Mech and do they come up on here often?
Seen loads of mechs for sale but no idea what ones I need:-(
Thanks again for your help.

Back