90s Saracen help needed!

Lorenzo24

Retro Newbie
Hi there

I found this really nice Saracen bike last summer in my mums old house in France. I’ve managed to get it back to England and intend to bring it back to life. Before I take it to the local repair shop for some help I’ve been trying to identify the bike.

I’ve narrowed it down to a tufftrax from 93/94 but some parts don’t quite match and I can’t find the name anywhere. Any help offered gratefully received! I used all the links for the old catalogues but can’t match it exactly. Thanks in advance 😎 IMG_7047.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7045.jpeg
    IMG_7045.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7050.jpeg
    IMG_7050.jpeg
    598.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7054.jpeg
    IMG_7054.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7052.jpeg
    IMG_7052.jpeg
    472.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7048.jpeg
    IMG_7048.jpeg
    611.3 KB · Views: 23
What a puzzler! Definitely Saracen. The cable lines on the frame look right for '93-'94' but that stem seems to come from the '90's catalogue. Makes me think the guys at Saracen found a box of old stems, headsets and chucked them on the newer frames and called it a limited edition. I'd say the only non standard bits are the seat clamp, the rack and the rear tyre. The Altus A20 group set is of that period.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Im thinking of following the spec of Saracen tufftrax 94 for the repair job. Is there much difference between the AltusA20 and the STX/Alivio systems? Also if it’s a hybrid “limited” edition I reckon I can use creative license on some of the replacement parts 😜

Altus A20 was a budget group set superseded by Acera X, Alivio, STX, LX, XT then XTR... I think that's the order at least. There were lower spec group sets but Altus was the start of the serious about it stuff.

Saracen knocked out limited editions every year back then, made up of what they had spare in the factory. It'll be one of those.
I love that! Makes me like the bike even more. Makes it feel more original in a way. I’ve been scouting about the internet looking for parts and second hand bits and pieces. What’s the consensus around best websites/stockists for Saracen parts?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Stripped the bike back and have sent it off to be sandblasted and resprayed! Let the rebuild commence 😎
IMG_7398.jpeg

That's a nicely made frame, lovely dropouts, details, fittings.
If you're getting it resprayed, I think you should build it up with stx or lx.

Back