89 Kona Cinder Cone

pjr

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,
I'm new on here.
I've just bought my first Kona, I'm normally a GT man, but when I was younger the cinder cone was one of the bikes I longed for so as part of my mid-life crisis I've got one. :D
Pete

Attachments

• DSCN0811_01.JPG
    DSCN0811_01.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 394
Nice Pete, looks to be in very nice condition and a lot of original parts :cool:

yes, quite a few original parts i think.
the rear thumb shifter has been changed, although ive got the original, but the bracket has been cut off the brake for it...
bar is a Cannodale one.
not sure about the rest, ill put some more pictures on maybe you could advise on whats been changed. I feel i may get a little obsessed in getting this one original :facepalm:

Im going to rebuild the wheels with stainless spokes as these are going rusty. the rims are not the same front and rear so i guess one has been changed, not sure if they are the right hubs?

Pete

Attachments

• DSCN0812_01.JPG
    DSCN0812_01.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN0813_01.JPG
    DSCN0813_01.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN0814_01.JPG
    DSCN0814_01.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCN0815_01.JPG
    DSCN0815_01.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCN0816_01.JPG
    DSCN0816_01.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 326
You're right, there have been a few changes but nothing that looks really out of place (apart from the tyres but that's just my opinion!). The frame a forks look mint though.

The original catalogue/spec sheet is here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... b.jpg.html

Cheers for that link,
I popped those tyres on yesterday as the ones on it when I picked it up were so wide they were rubbing the forks!
The frame does look pretty good but there are quite a few scrapes and marks some damaging the stickers, the splatter finish hides it quite well, but do i just touch up or strip it all off and repaint losing the splatter finish.
decisions, decisions, decisions...

pjr":16n0xeej said:
Cheers for that link,
I popped those tyres on yesterday as the ones on it when I picked it up were so wide they were rubbing the forks!
The frame does look pretty good but there are quite a few scrapes and marks some damaging the stickers, the splatter finish hides it quite well, but do i just touch up or strip it all off and repaint losing the splatter finish.
decisions, decisions, decisions...

I think most on here, me included, will tell you to keep the original paintwork. It's an iconic finish and although you say it has scratches, from your photo's it looks better than most. What were the tyres that it came with then?

I think your right about the paint finish, its what i remember from a friends one years ago.
ill touch it up.
tyres were tioga extreme xc, actually not that wide at only 2.1" but the side nobles stuck out alot. also the front wheel is not quite in the middle.
i think some gum walled tyres would look better, not sure whats available.

Hi Pete ,

Welcome to the forum ;)

Looks like you're starting off with a cracking bike too ! There will be many more , trust me :LOL: :facepalm:

As already suggested , original paint is best I think , and with white should be easy to touch up the damage . I personally go for Humbrol enamel for my bikes , but I'm sure there will be other suggestions from fellow retrobikers .
There are a lot of Kona owners on here , who will be able to help you out with spec too .

Happy tinkering ;)

Mike

Cheers Mike
Not to many more Im running out of room!
5 1/2 at moment and have just bought another zaskar frame.

although, I would quite like a klein, Bontrager, ..........

Pete

Charge Splashbacks are modern amber wall tyres that look ok and are only around £20 per pair. They're available in 1.8 and 2.1

Back