8 spd Dura Ace 7402 indexing problems

heathcliff

Dirt Disciple
Hi don't know if anyone can help . I have finished fitting 8 spd DA to my '85 Merckx . All matching 7400 series drivetrain inc 7402 rear derailleur and down tube shifters, the cassette is a modern 8 spd Sora thing, but I assume it's the same spacing .
If i begin adjusting the indexing from the smallest sprocket up by the time i get to the larger sprockets the tension is too tight and the chain starts to skip. Am i missing something, never had this problem before . The frame is 126mm spaced and am using 130mm DA 8 spd hubs with the mushroomed nut, would this change in spacing throw the derailleur hanger out enough ? It all looks fine to the naked eye .

Any advice welcome !

Now sorted, I simply had the cable routed on the wrong side of the cable fixing nut ..

Attachments

• merckxB.JPG
    merckxB.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 648
Re:

:LOL: you had me scratching my head as i have the same set up with the sora cassette etc on my 87 merckx.

rookie error or a senior moment - we all get them!!

:LOL:

:roll:

Yes I think I was a little confused with the cable routing as the fixing nut is hidden inside the mech ! Amazing the difference a slight change in cable angle can make !
I've added a snap of my somewhat tatty bike from late last night after finally sorting out the problem !

Re:

that's a nice looking bike but that saddle resembles something that gillette might manufacture!

:shock:

Just an old Flite Titanium Alpes I've had knocking
around for the past 20 years . Actually very
comfortable I used to courier with it !

Jamiedyer":2u2d6iut said:
Thats not tatty! thats a lovely Merckx ;)

Jamie

i think that most well loved merckx frames by this age are looking a bit ragged and mine's no exception! will respray it one day and then again maybe not - it's like me with life written all over it's face!!

;)

:facepalm:

Back