8 cyclists killed after a car hit them :(

"If needed"

Totally agree.

However, there are some idiots who cannot ride their fixies, wavering all around, and who seem to think everyone driving a vehicle has to entertain their learning process, as they ride two abreast for mile after mile.

One of the main issues I see in day to day driving in the hills is sheer ignorance by drivers overtaking on bends and when there is insufficient forward visibility due to dips/crests, etc.

When on a bike the danger from these drivers is magnified a thousand times, and ironically slowing to allow a cyclist to make a corner before overtaking can often lead to a vehicle behind overtaking and endangering us all.

I used to enjoy cycling on the roads of my homeland and everywhere else. No more. One of the main attractions off road cycling is the lack of other vehicles; I just don't want to expose myself to the risks of road riding any more.

retrowagen1234":yzplcx0a said:
Cyclists have every right to slow traffic if needed...

unless the road has minium speed signs that the cyclist cannot maintain, a motorway or other road prohibited to cuyclists, then the cyclist is perfectly leglaly allowed to be on that road.

The traffic behind then needs to overtake as required. The fault here lies with impatient car drivers, not the cyclists.

but then we are all preaching to the converted .....

all drivers should be force to ride a bike for 2 weeks each year to appreciate how vulnerable cyclists are.

02gf74":29jns39e said:
retrowagen1234":29jns39e said:
Cyclists have every right to slow traffic if needed...

unless the road has minium speed signs that the cyclist cannot maintain, a motorway or other road prohibited to cuyclists, then the cyclist is perfectly leglaly allowed to be on that road.

The traffic behind then needs to overtake as required. The fault here lies with impatient car drivers, not the cyclists.

but then we are all preaching to the converted .....

all drivers should be force to ride a bike for 2 weeks each year to appreciate how vulnerable cyclists are.

You have edited your quotes wrong !!!

retrowagen said "cyclists have No right to be slowing traffic"...

It was me who said... " cyclists have very right to slow traffic"..

but yea i agree with you.. :)

I have commented on this thread, today at 17.45 whilst going through Plymouth city centre i got knocked off my newly sprayed kona by a bus driver, luckily he admitted he was too close and admitted it again to the Police Officer that turned up. The bike needs new mudguards, helmet nice battle scar front right corner{kissing the tarmac}, gloves ripped, cycling leggings, cheapy karrimor £6 special{ mums going to go mad :LOL: :LOL: } ripped Also my seiko watch smashed glass and bezel. Me i escaped with rightside abrasions, they will be lovely colour within next 24 hours . Paramedics/Police good as gold.

Iam here and ok :D , bit pissed off/dented, managed to ride for another 5 miles home

keep on riding
Ernie

02gf74":1u7n5kp0 said:
ernie":1u7n5kp0 said:
retrowagen1234":1u7n5kp0 said:
There is good and bad in all, yes i have been at a traffic lights and cyclist have gone through on red, i just look over my shoulder at the driver behind me raise my hands and shake my head :roll: :roll: ..damage limitation.

sad..... but going to the RLJ

what exactly is wrong with going thorugh a red light when there is no traffic coming?

.... don't reply because it is the law - if you use your eyes and brain, then it is no different to going across a road junction after making sure there is no traffic coming; a variant of this I believe is practised in the USA where you can turn right on a red if the road is clear.

Seems kinda pointless sitting in front of a red light waiting for it to change when the road is devoid of traffic.

Check this out bud..http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129150

Rules/law are in place for a reason..i did everything i could.. you say "dont reply it is the law"..ask yourself this is you were unfortunate to be involved in ANY way in a collision..its hurts believe me, then you have the concerns of your family and friends

cheers Ernie ;)

Back