28 x 1 1/2 = 700c?

playford

Retro Guru
right, bought what I thought was a 700c wheel from my LBS.

second hand one, that had come off a dutch hybrid.

it says, 22 x 635 = 28 x 1 1/2.

correct me if im wrong but doesent that make it 13mm bigger than a 700c?
(622mm)?

just checking before I go in and find out wtf the crack is....

I suspect you are correct, best to look up Sheldon Brown on tire sizes.
635mm is almost 25 inches, which would be right for the ancient UK 28 x 1 1/2.
When we no longer made tyres and rims we lost our sensible Imperial sizes.

Hi, I think you'll find it maybe even a 700B which is the same'ish as a 28 x 1 1/2. Is it an endrick or westwood type ? Thanks Terry

Dutch stuff do sometimes have 28inch rims.... I recently sold a real dutch womans bike with 28 inch rims and michelin tyres... Luckily someone had looked after em

I remember reading somewhere 28" wheels were known as Policeman's wheels, probably used on the old Raleigh Superb type cycles.

If in doubt (which is quite often when it comes to tyre/rim sizing ;) ) I always try to find or measure the ISO/ETRTO number (something like 15-622, 52-559, 44-584 etc).

The smaller number is the nominal tyre width/depth or the internal width of the rim section, and the big number is always the diameter of the bead seat of the tyre/rim in millimetres. This larger number should match both tyre and rim.

It's not the rims that are 28" etc, it's the nominal size of the tyre/rim combo. BITD when roads were rougher, tyres were fatter and everyone used fixed gears or hub brakes, the rim size was less important than the overalll diameter. All the 700A/B/C range were approximtely 700mm (27.6") in total diameter, and would fit the same frames... A "700c" wheel like LGF's has a rim only 622mm in diameter, but that size used to be the fattest tyre in the 700A/B/C range, originally having a 38-45mm tyre, so 29ers are really retro...

As the others have said, your 28 x 1-1 1/2 is either an old British roadster wheel, or more likely a newish 700B French/Dutch roadster. At 22 x 635 it's both a bit wider and larger than a 15 x 622.

Good old much missed Sheldon Brown's great for this stuff... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

If they told you it was a 700c, ask for your money bay and try another LBS... :shock:

All the best,

Tyred out!

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have been driven mad by 'wrong' sized tyres.
I have a Rudge (Montague) Biframe bike which needed new tyres (Rudge UK, has been taken over by Montague USA).
The rims are made by ARAYA, Japan and are stamped 26 x 1.5. The tyres are marked 40 x 559 (26 x 1.5) and the 'rubber band' that cover the spoke ends in the rim well, is marked 26 x 1.5.
So I bought a pair of UK tyres marked 26 x 1.5 (40 x 559) and went to fit them. They were far too big! I got out my tape and measured the rims - 22.5". Measured the old tyres, 25" diameter from top of the tread to top of the tread. What is going on??

26" refers to the the "diameter" of the wheel tyre combo. Infact a 26" wheel with tyre will not be 26" in diameter it will be a little more or less. The ERTO diameter for a 559 rim is 22" so the rim is the right size. Your tyre I hope is not a 26x 1 1/2" because this a completely different size to 26x1.5" which should fit your wheel

Back