27" Steel Wheel dilemma

Davis_XI

Dirt Disciple
I have a slight dilemma. I have an old Dawes project bike which i'm restoring. The original steel wheels seem to be running true-ish but the chrome is completely shot to pieces. Would it be worth polishing the rims? I've read that you have to be careful about building up too much heat as they can distort. My other option is to find some new rims and get the wheels remade. The rims have 40 holes and I haven't been able to find any replacements so far. I don't think my budget is going to stretch to getting them re-chomed. Guessing you're talking hundreds for chroming?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings. :roll:

Personally I'd think about alloy replacements, the braking performance on steel rims varies from being shockingly bad to non-existant if raining :(

Shaun

Re:

That's another option. I can't seem to find any 40 hole rims. I wanted to try and keep the original hubs but all the rims i look at seem to be 36 hole. I should've mentioned (if its not obvious already) this is my first project so a steep learning curve.

Thanks

I would look out for a pair of nice-ish complete wheels in 27" so you can use the bike and deal with the original wheels at your leisure.

There are various tricks for rejuvenating chrome (oxalic acid and tinfoil are two IIRC), but once it's shot it's shot tbh. It depends whether you want a 100% finish or a slightly scruffy finish that you can say is original.

Some alloy 40-hole rims available from SJS - but in grey only.

Mavic MA40

Mavic G40

Must be some polished alloy rims out there somewhere. Otherwise follow BobToo's advice and get a 27" wheel set to roll on whilst awaiting the perfect 40-hole rim.

BobToo":3uhf1mtm said:
I would look out for a pair of nice-ish complete wheels in 27" so you can use the bike and deal with the original wheels at your leisure.

There are various tricks for rejuvenating chrome (oxalic acid and tinfoil are two IIRC), but once it's shot it's shot tbh. It depends whether you want a 100% finish or a slightly scruffy finish that you can say is original.

The wheels had been hand painted grey so impossible to remove without the chrome coming off as well.

Back