27 inch wheels

Panaracer do the Pasela model in 27". Comes in 1, 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 sizes.

Looks correct too with amber/cream sidewalls.

Ernst

ekallus":2cg7cqx5 said:

Ernst
I've only seen these on ebay and always in America.
Do you have any links to sites in the UK where they might be available in 27 x 1-1/8?

Ian.

Midlife":16k5o6dw said:
Old Ned........ just to clarify, it is possible to buy new tubs to fit my old 27" rims ?

Shaun

They never were 27" but were the same size as what we call nowadays 700C so therefore slightly smaller. If you remember, if you rode out to an event on 27" HP's and wanted to fit the 'sprints and tubs' to race on that you'd carried out on your Cliff Peters wheel carriers, then it was necessary to lower your brake blocks a tad so that they hit the rim and missed the tyre.

Any tub of nominal 700/27" will fit your old wheels. I have recently purchased some Continental Giro tubs which look 'old skool' with natural side walls but are substantial enough for general riding. BITD we would have called them 'training tubs'. They weigh around 8-10ozs. there are also Vittoria Rallye tubs which are similar. It pays to shop around for best prices - generally considerably more than you would have paid for a 6oz Clement 3 Silk during your racing days!

GrumpyOldMan":3et9crvn said:
ekallus":3et9crvn said:

Ernst
I've only seen these on ebay and always in America.
Do you have any links to sites in the UK where they might be available in 27 x 1-1/8?

Ian.
SJS Cycles had some 27x1 1/8" folding paselas.
I had a pair a while back, but I had to change them to wire rimmed paselas, folding tyres didn't agree with my old rims. Could only get the wire rimmed versions in 27x1 1/4" tho.

Thanks Old Ned. That sorts that out :)

I had read on the interweb that the old tubs were in fact what are now 700c but as usual I don't always believe what I read on the web.. LOL

I remember having to lower the brake blocks when swapping over from HP's to sprints/ tubs. Not quite as bad as going to York (sprint carriers used) and making my Carlton Cobra into a grasstrack fixed wheel bike for the day. Bonk bag full of tools and food :)

Only did one grasstrack day, sort of persuit style and lost badly in all events......... never again !

Hopefully grasstrack has died a death like Betamax.......

Shaun

Midlife":35nlulyx said:
Thanks Old Ned. That sorts that out :)

Hopefully grasstrack has died a death like Betamax.......

Shaun

Glad to be of service ;)

And - no it hasn't! National Championships are still run each year. Roundhay Park Track League in Leeds every summer Monday is on grass and very well attended.

I keep 27x 1 1/4" tyres as many bikes in Suffolk still use them. Schwable do the Marathon and Continental do this size in the Ultra sport, Gator Skins and and another road tyre (I forget which one) and touring tyres in 27x 1/14" and 27x 1 1/8".

Also 27 x 1/14" wheels are easily available. I get them through The Cycle Division (a distributor so they won't sell to the public) but there are others as well.

That LBS you spoke too must only deal with modern trendy stuff.

Back