21.1mm threaded U-Brake Forks ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Just aquired a set of hi-ten steel unicrown forks for 26" wheels with U-brake mounts and a internal steerer diameter of 21.1mm like a BMX. Obviously from a mtb of yesteryear, they also have more rake than you find on later forks.

So question is,what years did mtb's have forks of this type and does anyone know of frames that also have U-brake mounts that might go with these forks. I quite fancy having a seriously old school looking mtb from my teenage years. First mtb I ever seen was a Raleigh in 85/86 but it had cantilever brakes. Although I have recently seen a Raleigh Massif on ebay with chainstay mounted U-brakes.

Thanks everybody :D

The only bike I knew of with a front U-brake was one of the Saracens. Are you sure they're not for a Roller-Cam? They were a bit more common.

The UK Raleigh bikes with U-brakes were Montage (Reynolds 501) and Ozark and Avanti (Reynolds 531) - and only for the 1987/1988 model years.

It's not hard to get a builder to add some U-brake bosses to a frame - my friend had his moved from the chainstays to the seatstays in a (failed) attempt to stop them clogging in the South Downs mud.

Ubrakes and Rollercams use the same mounts. Rollercams became more common mid 80s and died along with the Ubrakes around 1990-91.

Carsten

1989 Rocky Mountain Blizzards had U-brakes front and back. To my mind, a U-brake on the front is an invitation to going over the handlebar. :)

Back