2000 Marin Mount Vision Build

Nice!

Totally agree on the high bottom bracket being a bit of a feature on these frames. I found going above around 465mm axle to crown length started to tip this into being a slight negative trait for the riding I commonly do, but they are awesome for seated pedaling over rough terrain without worrying about pedal strikes.

I think if I wanted to ride it with a longer fork I'd probably try out an angleset and offset shock bushes to bring the BB height back down a smidge. I did ride mine with a 110mm fork for a while and to be fair it was pretty capable, but it always felt a tiny bit "off" whereas at 85mm travel it feels really natural.

Is yours a 30.0mm seat post like mine? I did wonder if it would be possible to ream out the seat tube to fit a 30.9mm dropper, but I'm not brave enough to try. You could always use a 27.2mm with a shim though. Do stick a pic up if you end up adding this.
Very strangely my seat tube is about 27.18mm in diameter when I measured with a caliper. Makes me weary of my dropper post plan. I was able to fit a 27.2 seat post in from another bike I had but the fit was ridiculously tight and took about 30 seconds of muscling to move in and out. given its a 0.02 mm difference I think I could get away with brute forcing it into the frame or lightly sanding to fit.

My seat post (original ovation one) was hair over 27.1 mm and slid around super easily in the frame.

1727888180029.png
I recently finished restoring an old pair of elixir brakes and threw them on for now. Seeing if they live up to their bad reputation but so far I like them. I also cut the gear indicator off my shifter to move it on the outside of the brake so I could shift without moving my hand, worked surprisingly well.

Very strangely my seat tube is about 27.18mm in diameter when I measured with a caliper. Makes me weary of my dropper post plan. I was able to fit a 27.2 seat post in from another bike I had but the fit was ridiculously tight and took about 30 seconds of muscling to move in and out. given its a 0.02 mm difference I think I could get away with brute forcing it into the frame or lightly sanding to fit.

My seat post (original ovation one) was hair over 27.1 mm and slid around super easily in the frame.

Mine seemed to be a super tight 27.2. My neighbour and I spent time with a dremel making it less tight. It seems ok now.

Mine seemed to be a super tight 27.2. My neighbour and I spent time with a dremel making it less tight. It seems ok now.
good to hear that, I was quite concerned about my dropper plans but given its so close to 27.2 I think its doable. I plan on using an internally routed dropper so I am going to drill a 4mm hole in the seat tube as far as I can from the welds at the top tube and bottom bracket. I am unfortunately quite short so I am trying to minimize stack height with the dropper in its low position and externally routed droppers added about a cm of stack which I want to avoid given how much I am spending on one.

1728355191818.png
1728355238030.png 1728355285562.png
Pulled the trigger and bought a used One up v2 90mm dropper. Had to go over it with a sander and take about 0.05 mm of the post though since the fit was ridiculously tight in the seat tube. Big shout out to my colleges student workshop, definitely had some weird looks going at my frame with a drill.

Drilled frame too for internal routing too so ill let you guys know if it snaps in half lol.

Ill update tomorrow or later this week when the build is done, seller only had a drop bar dropper lever which is unfortunate but ill figure out a way to make it work, might try my hand at converting a front shifter into a dropper lever.

Back