2000 Marin Mount Vision Build

Hi Walter1775, my Mount Vision, purchased new in 1998, has been a labour of love. She’s a bit like ‘Trigger’s Broom’ now as the only original part left is the main frame. God knows how much money I’ve chucked at her over the years.

I decided to leave mine un-decalled as I liked the clean look, but I did manage to pick up a metal head tube badge on eBay. It came from China and took a month to arrive, but there’s a few American companies make them as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6346.jpeg
    IMG_6346.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6534.jpeg
    IMG_6534.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Thank you! It really is a beautiful frame, nothing beats the polished aluminum and X shape.

I opted for a 100mm Rockshox Judy 27.5, former remote lockout but I found I never used the lockout so I took it off. The longer fork gives it about a 69 degree headtube angle but makes the bottom bracket pretty tall. I don't mind the height though, and I imagine your also familiar with how high it feels. Its nice to pedal straight over pretty much everything.

My original intent was to buy a modern rear derailleur and wide range cassette, but after riding in its "temporary" set up for a while I kind of realized I didn't need any extra range, its 11-36 rear and 32 front which I found gives me plenty for the riding I do. The small wheels help compensate for sure.

Never considered putting the granny ring back on, but now that you point it out I might do it when I go home from college again since I still have the original shifters and chainrings. I live in Northeastern USA so not crazy flat but most trails I ride are not steep enough that I have needed any more range.

Also the Exmoor and Dartmoor pics look amazing, for sure puts all the trails near me to shame. Super jealous.

The bottle cage was interesting... The mounts on the top tube made it so I had no stand over height, and I hate wearing a bag to ride(most of my riding is sub 5 miles anyways) so I tried the downtube zip tie idea. It gets caked in crud in a few minutes sadly but I just take the entire top off my water bottle to not deal with that. Worth saving me a bag.

Next upgrade dropper post maybe, I was considering a one up v2 and drilling a hole in the seat tube to route the cable. Will certainly update if I do but that would be in a couple months most likely.

Hi Walter1775, my Mount Vision, purchased new in 1998, has been a labour of love. She’s a bit like ‘Trigger’s Broom’ now as the only original part left is the main frame. God knows how much money I’ve chucked at her over the years.

I decided to leave mine un-decalled as I liked the clean look, but I did manage to pick up a metal head tube badge on eBay. It came from China and took a month to arrive, but there’s a few American companies make them as well.
So cool! Did not realize there were more retro mount visions riding. Did you add the Black paint yourself? The all Black looks super clean

Nice!

Totally agree on the high bottom bracket being a bit of a feature on these frames. I found going above around 465mm axle to crown length started to tip this into being a slight negative trait for the riding I commonly do, but they are awesome for seated pedaling over rough terrain without worrying about pedal strikes.

I think if I wanted to ride it with a longer fork I'd probably try out an angleset and offset shock bushes to bring the BB height back down a smidge. I did ride mine with a 110mm fork for a while and to be fair it was pretty capable, but it always felt a tiny bit "off" whereas at 85mm travel it feels really natural.

Is yours a 30.0mm seat post like mine? I did wonder if it would be possible to ream out the seat tube to fit a 30.9mm dropper, but I'm not brave enough to try. You could always use a 27.2mm with a shim though. Do stick a pic up if you end up adding this.

Latest posts

Back