1x10 Campagnolo Sram hybrid drivechain

Dropping on the small sprockets when freewheeling down bumpy lanes. The chainset is supposed to be temporary...

Shortening the chain really makes a difference in my experience. I've got an old MTB I've converted to 1x, and rarely drop the chain. I fitted a narrow-wide chainring and am running the chain quite short.
judging by the photo, its as short as it can be

I suspect you might be asking too much of that rear mech across such a large range cassette. You could try pulling your wheel as far back as you can in the drop outs. That'll give you a bit more tension and chain wrap in the smaller sprockets, also maybe a longer armed mech might help - gives you the capacity you need for the big sprocket but takes more of the slack in the smaller ones.

Thanks, the RD limit is supposed to be 35t which is exactly what I have. I'll try putting the wheel a bit further back. The shifting etc is good it's just losing the chain is really annoying. Yes pigman, thanks for the confirmation.

judging by the photo, its as short as it can be
You're absolutely right - I got confused between Mike's photo and the OP.

One thing I've done on a couple of kids bikes is to use a front derailleur, like in the photo, but crimp it in a little. Obviously this ruins the front derailleur but it's not hard to find a cheap old unit to sacrifice.

This is a known thing, but i thought i would share my experience. I like 1x drivechains. When i used to race cross i was a great fan of them as they tended not to clog up so much in the mud. I now run them on my road and mountain bikes as well.

Anyways, i am still a huge fan of campag 10 speed ergos, but i was a bit frustrated by the low gear limitations of campag cassettes and rear mechs. I did the shimergo thing for a while and tried j-tek adapters and while they did work neither was quite right. Then i tried campag ergos with a sram 10 speed mountain bike mech and 11-36 cassette. It works perfectly - better than with campag mech and cassette. The mech has a clutch and also i reckon capacity for an even bigger sprocket on the back. It's fabulous!

Rich

I used 9 speed ergos with 9 cogs of a 10speed shimano cassette and shifted by a clutched Sram X9 10speed medium cage, for a while, and it worked very well. I then went over to Sram 10speed levers purely out of preference of how the paddles work.
Using an extender(a short one), for the derailleur pivot, and larger pulley wheels from an Altus, to increase wrap, I managed to get the same mech to handle 13-42 and 33/52 up front. The front end was handled by an X9, too.
It worked very well and was just a bit of fun to see how far one can go outside of the manufacturers specs. It did require quite a long chain to get all the gears to work, on a late 90's mtb, and was a good test of the clutch idea. Clutches do work very well but I feel they might add resistance, to the drivetrain. Maybe it is why they are not on road mechs?
The clutched X9 is a very capable mech and pretty tough. I recently replaced it with a clutched X0, which is much the same but fully serviceable, and some weeks ago that survived getting stuck in the spokes and bent back on itself, after a small branch went into the mech. The B screw was bent in half and the replaceable hanger was seriously bent, but the mech survived and still shifts as it should.

Last edited:
I love the extreme fettling you've described. I too have gone over to sram (force 1x) shifters on one of my bikes. I really admire the way they mainstreamed that system - and the quality of their engineering. With regard to resistance on the drivechain i feel that i notice it much more on shimano clutch mechs. Sram seems to have a "lighter touch" to its clutch.

What is your opinion on narrow wide rings? Again it's only my perception but it feels like they produce much more drag on the drivechain.

I love the extreme fettling you've described. I too have gone over to sram (force 1x) shifters on one of my bikes. I really admire the way they mainstreamed that system - and the quality of their engineering. With regard to resistance on the drivechain i feel that i notice it much more on shimano clutch mechs. Sram seems to have a "lighter touch" to its clutch.

What is your opinion on narrow wide rings? Again it's only my perception but it feels like they produce much more drag on the drivechain.

I did play around with a single front ring, for a while, but it was just with standard teeth. I haven't used a narrow-wide so I can't comment.
Years ago, when they first came out, I bought an On-One Inbred f+f and built up a fun singlespeed. I was reminded how smooth and quiet a singlespeed set-up is when I had the rear mech issue, mentioned above. I did some trail bodging by removing the mech and taking some links out of the chain, to get the best chainline possible, and twiddled home. The lower resistance was very noticeable.

Back