1997 Bontrager Privateer S Utter shed project bike!

I think you should score a rear king hub from ebay and rebuild.
I think those gold racelite/king wheels were from the top end bikes from trek, gf, klein etc.
If the rims are in ok condition it would be worth it imo.
I saw a couple of months ago a pair of bonty/king hubs on ebay, didnt buy ´em :evil:
If you get this bike sorted, it´ll be worth it :cool:

Jan

can be a nice bike with a bit of work and i second the getting another hub from ebay idea. failing that i'm sure you can buy the hub shells as well. oh and get another seat please thats annoying me :roll: :D

I'll be honest and say it's likely to be a new wheel set all round to be honest and I'll just take the very easy route. That doesn't mean I'll reuse that awful saddle however!

One quick question, the rear xtr v brakes are also staying put with the bolts out. Just corroded on like everything else, or is there a special trick to getting them off?

johnnystorm":cuotxneh said:
One quick question, the rear xtr v brakes are also staying put with the bolts out. Just corroded on like everything else, or is there a special trick to getting them off?
I don't think it's corroded - there isn't much steel in an XTR V-brake - but they can get seriously jammed on and in particular the locating pin can get stuck into the hole on the brake boss because of the sideways forces on the brake. Have you tried knocking the brake/pin sideways with a hammer and screwdriver - in the opposite direction to the rotational forces?

You could try soaking it in PlusGas for a few days, that might help, but I would guess it'll take judicious use of a hammer to free it ultimately. But you ought to be able to save the brake - it's just a matter of unjamming it.

Anthony":jv9yxqki said:
johnnystorm":jv9yxqki said:
I don't think it's corroded - there isn't much steel in an XTR V-brake - but they can get seriously jammed on and in particular the locating pin can get stuck into the hole on the brake boss because of the sideways forces on the brake. Have you tried knocking the brake/pin sideways with a hammer and screwdriver - in the opposite direction to the rotational forces?

You could try soaking it in PlusGas for a few days, that might help, but I would guess it'll take judicious use of a hammer to free it ultimately. But you ought to be able to save the brake - it's just a matter of unjamming it.

I've tried "wd-40"-a-like which i realise isn't a proper penetrating fluid and a squirt of act 50 as thats supposed to "creep" well. Good tip with the screw driver whacking technique, I'll try that later It's all a bit academic until I can get the bloody forks out. Lump Hammer and piece of wood wasn't doing much good earlier :(

Back