1996 GT Karakoram - new project

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all, picked this up last night via Gumtree. It needs a bit of love but has enough going for it. Nice and light steel frame, LX/XT components, some club roost bits too (I’ll be nicking the pedals to go on my Explosif though). I’m liking the flames too! Not 100% what I’ll do with it, the elastomers in the forks are basically just dust, I have some working manitou spyder R forks or a set of steel rigid forks off a Specialized of about the same age. I’ll strip it down and see how it goes, might keep it as a winter bike and sell it next spring.
I’ll keep the post updated with progress.

Attachments

• 06EAA6A8-9EE9-4587-BE9A-3B569B54C4DA.jpeg
    06EAA6A8-9EE9-4587-BE9A-3B569B54C4DA.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 265
Got it stripped down this evening, couple of stuck bolts and some signs of sketchy previous maintenance but not too bad. After a clean up I found that the chain and seat stays have a few scuffs and rusty bits. Overall it’s not terrible and I don’t want to lose the original stickers and paint so some touch up will have to do.
Offered up the other forks I have and the contrast in colour works I think.
Not sure on the rest of the bits I’ll be fitting yet, but it should be a cool retro winter bike for me.

Attachments

• F1E5D8D9-A3E6-4BF6-B3AA-BC5CD263480E.jpeg
    F1E5D8D9-A3E6-4BF6-B3AA-BC5CD263480E.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 242
Hi, I know this thread is a few years old now but can you confirm what the frame is built from, it looks to me the same or similar to my 1999 GT Tequesta, not by colour but by the rear drop outs, which would indicate it is most likely a Reynolds 525/4130 frame. Can't seem to find out much from 1996 GT catalogues, it seems vague as it just states double butted steel frame. I have seen the same bike on FB marketplace and I am tempted to buy it, as it seems decent for the price but I'd need to travel by train to get it.

Back