Curtis SuperX 2001

I went for a short ride for some shakedown testing. It rides well, feels nimble and the gears all work. I can hop it up a kerb without easily so it's not too heavy.

Just a couple of issues we're identified. The main one is that the forks seems to be locked solid after being left for a for a few hours. A few hard pushes gets them moving again but they'd soon firm up again. My first thought was that the oil height was incorrect, but after checking and adding a touch more oil it was still happening. While looking in the service manual I found a possible solution. Apparently it can happen when they've been left for a long time, I guess it could be a problem with brand new seals too, and that the remedy is removing the dust seal and applying some silicone lube to the oil seal. I wasn't going to bother removing the dust seal as that's will be a pain, but I just rubbed some lube around the bottom of the stantions. As if by magic the problem is solved, they are now super smooth.
The second issue is that the front brake is rubbing. Should be a simple job of adjusting the spacing and resetting the pistons, or so I thought. After correcting the spacing and reseting the pads it was still dragging. I tried the same process again with the same result. This was starting to really frustrate me. Next was to check for stuck pistons and found that one of them was very sticky. This surprised me as this is the caliper that I rebuilt. I managed to squeeze the piston out a bit and apply some silicone lube and it's now moving freely again.

The last issue is that I forgot to tighten the pedals, thankfully I spotted this before I set off and was a good reminder to check all the bolts.

Hopefully get it out for a proper ride soon.

Back