1995 Mantis Flying V - Candy Red with silver/gold flake

Slow progress on the mantis. I did go ahead with the brake swap. The kooka levers looked fantastic, but the hydraulic hose coming across the frame just couldn't be made pretty. On go the Cross Stop IIIs - wild looking for sure, but that's sort of the point of this build.

Selle Evolution Saddle, and NOS raceface BB added. It'll be m900/910

I loved the Kooka Maguras but I can picture how the hose looked trying to thread through this, so I think you've done the right thing swapping - good choice too :cool:

Re:

Thanks guys,

The Kooka levers were the coolest - shame about those, but yeah it was all about the hose. All the cabling was running in the same direction and then the hose just couldn't follow the line the same way. Looked sloppy.

Just need to polish up a set of grafton joystix, find some new levers, and add a bit more red blingy bits. Those cross stops apparently use standard short pull canti levers - not too many wild looking options that will fit on the powdercoated bars. I'll probably use a set of Gravity Research, Grafton, or something.

Re:

Geeze this is a long project. Kit all sorted. Mod on the cable guides still the hold up.

New Paul levers to match the Paul Brakes. Tioga grips.

Re:

It's going to get done!!!

This part was the hold up. 'Twas over a year in Toronto trying to get this thing done. Sent it south, done in a couple weeks. Gotta love that.

Designed and cut by FTW - brazed by Ben Serotta :cool: I'll chrome it when it arrives and this thing will be done for the new year. Albeit with skis instread of wheels. :?

jimi911":165hgusa said:
Slow progress on the mantis. I did go ahead with the brake swap. The kooka levers looked fantastic, but the hydraulic hose coming across the frame just couldn't be made pretty. On go the Cross Stop IIIs - wild looking for sure, but that's sort of the point of this build.

Selle Evolution Saddle, and NOS raceface BB added. It'll be m900/910

I love the Kooka stem and always have but never really saw it on a frame/build that it really suited - this however is the build for it! The punctuations of the Mantis frame are harmonious with those in the stem - love the colour too. Good job sir! :D

Re:

This thing took for bloody ever. So much bad luck and stupid problems with this one. I can't find all the pics of the process that PB took so here's the product.

Frame: 1995 Mantis Flying V

Fork: Judy FSX w/Chronos

Headset: CK
Stem: Kooka
Handlebar: Syncros (powdered red to match frame)
Grips: Tioga
Barends: Nope

Brakes: Paul Cross Stops
Brake Pads: Koolstop
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: None
Brake Levers: Paul

Shifters: XTR M900 with Precision Billet Perches
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900 with red kit
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: XTR
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Kooka
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Kooka
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Raceface
Pedals: Shimano 747

Hub Skewers: Cooks
Rims: Spin
Hubs: Spin
Nipples: Nope
Spokes: Carbon
Tyres: NOS Specialized Team Master
Tubes: MEC

Saddle: Flite Evolution
Seatpost: Syncros (powder coated to match frame)
Seatpost Binder: Ultimate Machine

Re:

Well, all I can say is it was worth the wait! Love the Mantis, nice controlled use of colour and a frame like that can definitely handle the Spins and Kooka. How's the ride? I'm imagining it's pretty solid though I've never tried spins so maybe a bit of shock absorption?

Back