1995 KTM "AMP B3 post copy" Race Line MTB-Seatpost

foolproof

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I've just bought an 1995 KTM "Race Line", which appears to be an Austrian-bulit copy of the fabulous AMP B3. Hardly used, original M737 kit, AMP fork with mother of all disc brakes. Paid 139 GBP posted, living in a third world country does have its benefits :)

Bike is largely original, but some parts I suspect to be aftermarket. The current 31.4 mm diam. seatpost seems much younger than 17-18 years old, and a rather cheapo knock-off anyway.

I've measured the frame with a Vernier cal. Readings are: seat frame tube outside diam.=35 mm, tube wall thickness approx: 1.8, so 35-2x1.8=31.4 mm inner seattube diameter.

BUT: but seatpost slips very easily into the seattube and when inserted, it has a little sideways "play" in the tube.

So, all the good folks in the know out there, is this 31.4 mm a correct seatpost size? :cry:

Thanx in advance,

Cheers,

Andrew

Sorry I can't help on seatpost size, but the size can grow with age, or perhaps it originally had a shim? Try padding out with a coke can shim to find the size you need - a coke can is 0.1mm wall thickness so a wrap around shim takes it up .2 at a time.

I'd ike to see pics of the bike - and hungary is hardly third world, it is a beautiful country, it does seem to be a great resource for bikeparts though. :)

Thanks mate, bit confusing, innit? I might just clean the seat tube a bit out, admittedly it's a bit raspy inside.

Think I'm gonna burn in hell for this, but now planning to use some contemporary , stupidly light, red anodized 27.2 mm seatpost with a shim... pathetic, I know, but since this bike already has an original (reddish) purple rear brake booster + the decals are also red, RED is the way to go with this build!

Cheers,

Andrew

I would be wary of using a shim'd post, the length of the shim is usually quite short and when fitted into an AMP frame would finish before the top tube putting a lot of stress into the frame.

AMP recomend using a Control Tech post with the reinforcing rib.

The Ken":ym0bc2qb said:
Sorry I can't help on seatpost size, but the size can grow with age, or perhaps it originally had a shim? Try padding out with a coke can shim to find the size you need - a coke can is 0.1mm wall thickness so a wrap around shim takes it up .2 at a time.

I'd ike to see pics of the bike - and hungary is hardly third world, it is a beautiful country, it does seem to be a great resource for bikeparts though. :)

Thanks for your comment. I'm going to put the KTM on the forum, (just needs some stuff to finish) with others in my paddock : early '90s Pinarello alu DX/XT, 3 Hooger-Boogers (Comp DX-XT-XTR, the XTR one came as a frame only, seems unused, but will be built with M737 due to own financial crisis,) 1991 TREK 970 + 8000, '89 Dawes Escape, '90s WILLIER Tange Infinity MTB, 1992 Marin Rocky Ridge-this bare frame started all the madness :cool:

Unfortunately I got more bikes than time on my hands,hopefully all of them will be built this year, but don't hold your breath ;)

Sadly, I must disagree with your opinion about my land, a country, where thousands of people are homeless and hundreds die every year due to hypothermia and starvation, yet the government pays fat bonuses to itself for nothing from the taxpayers money, & the Parliament is still not burned down with the pigs inside by the nation in outrage... and I could write many more similar sad/infuriating examples no end.... so a place like this is firmly located in Western Asia, not Eastern Europe, let alone Central EU.

Well, at least the UK & other civilised countries won't be lacking the red-blooded Hungarian hard workers:)

OK, rant is over, this site does not deserve such negative attitude:)

Run-of the mill and not too high-end retro used bikeparts aren't too expensive here, but the hardcore fans are slowly increasing the prices with their demand, and any quality NOS part is pricey and hard to come by. Also, broke people are starting to realize, that most 15+ years old stuff is not only stylish, nice and properly functioning, but it WILL stand a good amount of abuse, simply because they were built to last by commited, reputable firms. This dries up the resource pool and also has bad effects on my wallet. Open eyes + teflon faceskin, these are always useful on the 2ndhand market.:twisted:

Cheers,

Andrew

B3":1arf2can said:
I would be wary of using a shim'd post, the length of the shim is usually quite short and when fitted into an AMP frame would finish before the top tube putting a lot of stress into the frame.

AMP recomend using a Control Tech post with the reinforcing rib.

Thanx mate, but I'm going to use a bespoke shim,most likely made of plastic, as long as the seatpost is inserted into the tube. The bike is the smallest one I think, about 16", but I'm 6 feet tall, hardly a giant, but frame feels rather tiny. Correct post & stem lengths are vital...Stem will also be changed, but still searching for a good 'un...Must accept this small frame size, 'cause it was such a good deal, and hardly used, but most of all, IT IS MY FIRST FULLY :cool:

Cheers,

Andrew

The bike is the smallest one I think, about 16", but I'm 6 feet tall, hardly a giant, but frame feels rather tiny. [/quote]

I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sure you're extremely excited to have the Amp, but 6' for a 16"frame????? I'm 5'9" and I'm selling my 16.75" Litespeed since it was too small for me. You might be better off selling it for a profit then finding something better suited for you.

Either way you should definitely post some pictures :D

bwhsh8r":4f4bzoz9 said:
The bike is the smallest one I think, about 16", but I'm 6 feet tall, hardly a giant, but frame feels rather tiny.

I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sure you're extremely excited to have the Amp, but 6' for a 16"frame????? I'm 5'9" and I'm selling my 16.75" Litespeed since it was too small for me. You might be better off selling it for a profit then finding something better suited for you.

Either way you should definitely post some pictures :D[/quote]

Cheers mate for your kind reply, but apparently the frame compensates its short seattube with a relatively long top tube & wheelbase. So I think I'll give it a try with a longer seatpost & stem. If all else fails, I mothball it and when I sell it in 2030 my son could start his university course from the money, at least I hope so :twisted:

If I get the (sorry, rather modern) parts I will post it on the forum as soon as possible. Time is always in short supply, weak excuse, I know, but still true :roll:

Cheers,
Andrew

Back