1995 Independent Fabrication Deluxe Help needed style gurus

Wu-Tangled":3f8zzacy said:
Anthony":3f8zzacy said:
That’s a very elegant frame Carl, what is it made of?

Reynolds 853.

A brief period of True Temper Platinum OX I believe when Bush put tarrifs on imported steel, then back to 853.

I may be wrong, but I think that happened. :D

I know they used something other than 853 for a time, though I don't know if it can be pinned on bush, since bush sr wasn't in office when IF came into existence, and bush jr didn't come into office till 2000 ;)

GoldenEraMTB":3ip9nxjb said:
Wu-Tangled":3ip9nxjb said:
Anthony":3ip9nxjb said:
That’s a very elegant frame Carl, what is it made of?

Reynolds 853.

A brief period of True Temper Platinum OX I believe when Bush put tarrifs on imported steel, then back to 853.

I may be wrong, but I think that happened. :D

I know they used something other than 853 for a time, though I don't know if it can be pinned on bush, since bush sr wasn't in office when IF came into existence, and bush jr didn't come into office till 2000 ;)
I think it had something to do with bananas :LOL: I seem to remember the EC, EEC, or whatever it called itself then restricting the importation of
Dole bananas, to aid small producers on Caribbean Islands.
The US responded in a heavy handed manner. It wasn't only steel that was affected. A lot of Harris Tweed spinners also went tits-up. :x

Very nice bike!

Keep the Middleburns. They go well with the Syncros Ti post, and are much nicer to look at than XTR's!
Go for a silver stem, and keep a riser bar on for a bit taller front end.
And, as somebody wrote, matching headset, seatclamp and skewers are a must.

Oh, and a black saddle. NO ROLLS, please! That is just too old school for that bike. :)

/Ulrich

Looks great as it is :D

Love to own a Deluxe one day as it has to be one of the best steel frames available.

Get out and ride it...a bike like that deserves to be used and enjoyed :D

GoldenEraMTB":2lpebd0j said:

Yeah, I seem to remember this being a brief period about 2002.

As I understand it, IF started up in 1995, which makes this a very early frame. That pre-dates Reynolds 853, so I was assuming this was made from either True Temper or Tange.

I think 853 became available at some point in 1996, but wasn't in wide use until 97. A Roberts expert would know, as I think they used to get the first issue or even pre-production of Reynolds tubes as a development/testing thing.

I guess you guys all know this, but the ad for a frame in the US says that his frame is number 355D718, so Carl's frame number should be XXXD516, where XXX is a very low number, the XXXth one made, D stands for De Luxe, 5 stands for 1995 and 16 is the size.

very cool bike that. :cool:

not my style of build, personally i prefer a full gearset but it isn't my bike and i'm not riding it! and being totally out of shape at the mo i couldn't cope with the single ring up front!! :LOL:

i have to say i agree with john regarding the monochrome build colour wise, i like subtle cool.

but again, it's your bike and very nice it is aswel. :D

Anthony":3tlh1fou said:
As I understand it, IF started up in 1995, which makes this a very early frame. That pre-dates Reynolds 853, so I was assuming this was made from either True Temper or Tange.

mrs wu's IF was a 97 (made in 96 i believe) and that was 853.

Anthony":3ij7x1ly said:

I think 853 became available at some point in 1996, but wasn't in wide use until 97. A Roberts expert would know, as I think they used to get the first issue or even pre-production of Reynolds tubes as a development/testing thing.

I guess you guys all know this, but the ad for a frame in the US says that his frame is number 355D718, so Carl's frame number should be XXXD516, where XXX is a very low number, the XXXth one made, D stands for De Luxe, 5 stands for 1995 and 16 is the size.

From what I've read, this is correct. The first couple of years, IF did not use 853; this is what I thought Wu was referring to above. My wife has a 97, and it's 853 as well. I believe my 95/96 is true temper, but I'll have to look into that a bit more before I say for sure.

Latest posts

Back