1995 Independent Fabrication Deluxe Help needed style gurus

Needs black cranks, then I think it'll look sound.

Rest of the build looks fine, especially the forks.

Wu-Tangled":1ww0g386 said:
very nice carl, fork looks superb.

What size is it?

Seat-tube 17.5" to top,,top-tube seems a wee short for me at the moment.slightly longer stem and higher rise would be good,
Very short road ride tonight and it feels real nice. I meam very very nice.

You might be right Pickle...found a Syncos Ti seat post in th larder and popped it on...looks better placed than the modern post.
Polished silver LP Raceface arms would do the trick I reckon.

Don't know how peeps like DrS get it bright first hit :LOL:

I can't take blooming pictures of bikes!
Anyhoo...here it is with Ti post (think it is Syncros)

Think I prefer it :?

Ebaystuff047.jpg

It's lovely.... but in serious need of more colour! It's dark and shiny, but the only colour there is a mango stem, orange cables , and a yellow if.
All up top. Down below, there's nothing. It won't take much; bright skewers, chain ring bolts, or even just bright logos on the tyres.
Three eye catching points of bright colour (or silver) in a triangle are all it takes. Avoid straight lines. More COULD be better, but not on this build. Think Savile Row; Dark , well tailored, bright tie and interesting cufflinks.

suburbanreuben":20kjryb1 said:
It's lovely.... but in serious need of more colour! It's dark and shiny, but the only colour there is a mango stem, orange cables , and a yellow if.
All up top. Down below, there's nothing. It won't take much; bright skewers, chain ring bolts, or even just bright logos on the tyres.
Three eye catching points of bright colour (or silver) in a triangle are all it takes. Avoid straight lines. More COULD be better, but not on this build. Think Savile Row; Dark , well tailored, bright tie and interesting cufflinks.

Well I do know someone with mango CK hubs but the tight b*gger is keeping hold of them :LOL:
It is very Savile Row in the flesh....more Bristol than Ferrari
The orange cables are annoying a wee...might pop the grey XTR ones on...or then again not worry too much and just ride.
Mmmm...silver skewers though...there's a point.

Harryburgundy":349ciol1 said:
suburbanreuben":349ciol1 said:

Well I do know someone with mango CK hubs but the tight b*gger is keeping hold of them :LOL:
It is very Savile Row in the flesh....more Bristol than Ferrari
The orange cables are annoying a wee...might pop the grey XTR ones on...or then again not worry too much and just ride.
Mmmm...silver skewers though...there's a point.

Maybe try it monochrome.

That’s a very elegant frame Carl, what is it made of?

It looks a bit small for you, perhaps size 16 the way they measure it? I remember you said you were veering towards a smaller frame these days, but that looks like a 9cm head tube and that’s loooooow. Head tubes on retro bikes often tend to be too short, but 9cm is overdoing it. So there's a need to compensate there. And no spare steerer length either. I don’t think the frame really likes the Thomson stem, so I agree that it would favour a longer silver stem with more rise. Then maybe you wouldn’t need the riser bar and you could try something like a Titec Hell Bent if you wanted to keep the sweep.

I’m trying not to look at the brake cables, but I’m finding it difficult. I think the frame likes the headset, but they both hate the brake cables. And of course it is axiomatic that the seat clamp be the same colour as the headset. And as has been pointed out, it would be good if the skewers were also the same colour. I think that would be enough colour, and all it would need then would be a Flite and it would look very nice.

Not being a retro wallah myself, I think it's vital that you find a riding position that you really enjoy, so you can really attack the trails. I'm just thinking that with such a low front, it could be that you'll find you need a suspension fork to obtain the right position. I know most people on here wouldn't do that, but to me the bike needs to be ridden, fast and often, so it's a case of whatever it takes.

Maybe try it monochrome.

Thats the way I'm thinking John. If I have time I will change the cables. For now the headset will stay and I like it.

Anthony.
:LOL: I don't know how you do it. Of course I had to measure the headtube and yes, 9cm.
The frame measures 17.5 to top, same as a few others I have had and its a size I am comfortable with. The front is low...lower than I really like hence I will find a stem with rise and 10mm more reach, but I don't want too much more weight over the front.
Last year had that 94 Stumpjumper that was low on the front and I just couldn't ride it, but this feels different. Maybe these forks have slightly have a slightly higher A to C.
The saddle will go too :(
I'm very fond of that one...been on a few bikes ....we kinda share our experiences...but for this build it is too flippant.
I don't really like flites...I was thinking Rolls?

I can't put suspension on this...I'm afarid it will be my queen...not to say I won't ride, I will, most days, but for certain trails I will need another bike.

Damn...that means I have to build another. Mmmm...still got the 97 Explosif farme :roll:

Anthony":2yovohkx said:
That’s a very elegant frame Carl, what is it made of?

Reynolds 853.

A brief period of True Temper Platinum OX I believe when Bush put tarrifs on imported steel, then back to 853.

I may be wrong, but I think that happened. :D

Back