1993 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

Mr.Toad":3e998ptj said:
Progress, hooray!
progress, yes… but hit a big road block… boo! no seal means no fork to use. :(

kraeMit":3e998ptj said:
Just by exchanging mails I remember to have one of this seals left, I kept it for measurements.
Unfortunately only one, but this may do the trick. You can have it.

Another possibility would be to search in my used-seals box (I usualy exchange all seals during service and throw the used one in a box).
right now, i'll be happy take a used one in good condition. don't want to take your new one if you've been saving it for reference to fabricate new ones. plus i'd want to swap both if i'm doing new seals.

so when this fork is rebuilt, should these seals not be replaced in the first place? looking at the service guide it mentions they should be. or do they not wear much and so it's not too important to replace?

any chance if i contacted Marzocchi they could possible have these seals???

Marzocchi might, it is probably a generic metric seal so check for numbers on it or take some measurements.
Seals can just perish, it looks like that may have had a nick by something and then just torn over time.

sent an email to them to see if there's a remote chance they have what i need. i think the seal must have been damage to have started the tear cuz it was a bugger to get the darn seal off and the rubber was really heavy duty and felt pretty indestructible.

in the meantime, removed the seals, cleaned and wiped things down ready to re-assemble. now the patient wait and hunt to get a replacement seal(s). :(

Attachments

• DSC06332.JPG
    DSC06332.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 534
as Dr.M has stated, got the brace yest and discovered the mount holes are about 2mm off from the XC500 and the XC600/700. :facepalm: :( if you don't actually try to mount them and just compare the two braces, the difference is so slight that visually it looks like the holes line up. so instead of having solved one problem as i had thought, i'm back up to two with the forks, and needing rim(s) for the wheelset. :(

however, i did find another thread and it looks like an XC500 brace mounted to an XC700. although the cable hanger/stop doesn't look like the XC500, only the brace section. in fact in the second photo, it looks like the original brace hanger/stop has been shaved off, and the hanger looks like it's an after market add-on which i happen to have in my spares. :? i've sent a PM to skolioza to inquire. so far he's replied that he has swapped XC700 brace to XC600, XC500 to DH3? :?:

Subject: Zocchis - pre Bomber era...

skolioza":2rtrevsa said:
Blue XC500, red XC700, green DH3
zoc2.jpg

zoc1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06342.JPG
    DSC06342.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC06341.JPG
    DSC06341.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC06334.JPG
    DSC06334.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC06344.JPG
    DSC06344.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC06343.JPG
    DSC06343.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 498
hmmm… from further discussion with skolioza he pointed out this photo of the XC500 and XC700 with the original braces on the appropriate forks. how is it possible that they fit??? is XC500/XC700 compatible, and just not XC600??? :?

he confirmed my guess that the XC500 hanger/stop was shaved off by prev owner.

skolioza":29umcv3p said:

XC600, XC700 and DH3 have the same stanchion tube diameter 26mm and the braces are exchangeable.

I'm wondering, who he could manage to mount the (cutted) XC500 brace to the red XC600 or the DH3 brace on the bue XC500 ... I think he did a 'manual override' ;-)

RockiMtn":1vdr3g5r said:
hmmm… from further discussion with skolioza he pointed out this photo of the XC500 and XC700 with the original braces on the appropriate forks. how is it possible that they fit??? is XC500/XC700 compatible, and just not XC600??? :?

he confirmed my guess that the XC500 hanger/stop was shaved off by prev owner.

skolioza":1vdr3g5r said:

well unless the brace holes were shaved/filed/grounded larger, there's no way of getting the bolts to thread in straight into the hole. it would have taken a whole lot of brute forced and mangling otherwise.

i'm wondering if i take off a millimeter of material in the right direction off each hole, i could get the bolt in straight and mount the brace properly? and would that be safe to do?

so since all my current builds are on hiatus for one reason or another :|

i thought i'd return to graphic reproduction for decals i'll eventually be needing.

Attachments

• RMset.jpg
    RMset.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 425
Back