1993 Merlin Titanium

Interesting note from first research, the serial number of this frame is 7721. According to Mombat thats a 1992 frame. not 93.

Minifreak":1k7z59pu said:
Tomianson":1k7z59pu said:
Interesting note from first research, the serial number of this frame is 7721. According to Mombat thats a 1992 frame. not 93.
:oops:

No oops necessary, it actually makes the build a bit easier. Winner all round.
T

Already a lovely build before you start, looking forward to seeing the transformation.

Would love an early Merlin in my collection, beautiful frames.

It's already close to perfect.

But your planned changes make a lot of sense, so I'm following now with interest!

Tomianson":rq2ukwk2 said:
It's here whoop whoop. Thanks to the seller for bring it up to me, its gorgeous. I'm going to strip it down and rebuild it with a few different bits, should be a cracking project.

Currently as it stands, its 22.7lb's. Going to see if i can trim that down a chunk.

My thinking at the moment, is to put a rigid fork on, elite titanium saddle, ti seatpost, ti stem (maybe). keep the xtr and cook bros, merlin bars and ringle skewers. Change the wheels (xtr and pace hubs at the moment with Mavic Ceramic rims) to something with matching hubs.

Lots of tinkering to do.
That's a stunning bike! Love it, as it stands a smidge over 10kg. I wonder how much you can get it down to without sacrificing certain things to achieve it. As this isn't your intention to do a weight weenie build :D
I'm jealous Tom , she's a cracker :cool:

Magpiegifts":1ka9yhd2 said:
Tomianson":1ka9yhd2 said:
It's here whoop whoop. Thanks to the seller for bring it up to me, its gorgeous. I'm going to strip it down and rebuild it with a few different bits, should be a cracking project.

Currently as it stands, its 22.7lb's. Going to see if i can trim that down a chunk.

My thinking at the moment, is to put a rigid fork on, elite titanium saddle, ti seatpost, ti stem (maybe). keep the xtr and cook bros, merlin bars and ringle skewers. Change the wheels (xtr and pace hubs at the moment with Mavic Ceramic rims) to something with matching hubs.

Lots of tinkering to do.
That's a stunning bike! Love it, as it stands a smidge over 10kg. I wonder how much you can get it down to without sacrificing certain things to achieve it. As this isn't your intention to do a weight weenie build :D
I'm jealous Tom , she's a cracker :cool:

Let’s just say I’m rebuilding with an eye to weightweenying but not to religiously. Syncros powerlites should save a bit over 1lb, lighter tubes, a few other changes and I reckon I’ll be near 20lb.
If I get close I might consider a lighter fork still just to get below the magic 20.

Back