1992 Specialized Stumpjumper - Finished!

Thanks, I appreciate the comments :)

Few more bits on:

05062010207.jpg

Still to do:
* Buy a inner brake cable
* B/B spacer (1-2mm) or a slightly longer B/B.
* Furrell ends for some of outer cables
* Fit gear inner cables

Then....ride!

No huge updates at the moment. Been too busy trying to sell bits off the Zaskar I bought to fund buying a new (modern-ish) full suss bike.

However, the "things left to do" on this build are now:

* Wait for brake straddle cables to arrive and fit
* Pay for and fit 118mm bottom bracket (113 I bought was a tad too narrow)
* Buy and fit a set of QR levers
* Source a set of 1" headset bearings

Think it should be done then!

Instead of normal QR levers, I thought I'd go for a set of these. Bit more subtle and quite trick in my opinion:

6282.jpg

EarlofBarnet":fcjrpwwf said:
Instead of normal QR levers, I thought I'd go for a set of these. Bit more subtle and quite trick in my opinion:

6282.jpg

are those the ones from CRC?

if so

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

i had a set and i had to hacksaw them off as the head rounded the second time i tried to use them

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ow, the Control Tech ones are nice...but a bit too much £ for me :(

eBay ones could be an option though if the CRC ones are of a poor quality.

B/B - Sorted and in the post
Straddle cables - Sorted and in the post
Brake pads (although not the ones I wanted) - Sorted and in the post

Trip to LBS on Saturday should hopefully sort headset bearings and then just need QR levers. Phew!

Literally just have headset bearings to go with this now. And I'm stuck! Ordered some 1" headset bearings and they're too big. Can anyone help? :(

Bearings sorted! Went to LBS today and got some loose bearings that were slightly larger than those in the race I had. Just fitted then and all is well. £1.20 well spent! :)

Will post up finished pics soon...

19062010223.jpg

19062010225.jpg

Had a quick ride on it yesterday and am really pleased. I wasn't too sure how I'd find a steel rigid bike after riding alu hardtails for so long, but it's great. Really nimble bike and accelerates quickly. Nice and light too.

Got a few little bits to tweak before it's 100% done, but I recon I'm 98% there now.

Thanks for everyone's help along the way. It's taken your help and ideas (and a bit of my cash) to get this from what was a bargain eBay frame to what it is now. I've definitely spent more that I set out to, but you forget the figures when I get a grin on my face when I see it. This bike's definitely staying :D

Back