1992 Merlin Titanium

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've just picked up a '92 Merlin Titanium which is in need of revival. Early 7,000's frame number so squarely in the '92 build range.

Need to decide which way to go on specification. It's mostly Deore XT currently but with XT parts across a couple of years rather than a consistent groupset, plus the STIs pods have been swapped out with STX RC pods.
Looking at the '91 catalogue (there doesn't appear to be a '92 catalogue in the archive) the spec looks like Suntour, can anyone confirm?

A quick measure of the current quill stem suggests the headset is 1inch but I could have sworn they were 1"1/8th.

Currently going through stage 1 of letting penetrating fluid get to work before I try to undo things.
Pic to follow of it's current state - prepare to be "shocked" at the front end...
*Edit* - Here it is
IMG_7851.jpeg

IMG_7853.jpeg

IMG_7854.jpeg

Last edited:
Merlins did not go to a 1" 1/8 headset until around 95/96, I forget which, so 1" would be correct. I only know that as when I bought mine new it was the first year they had moved away from 1".

Lovely place to start a build from. Looks like it's had a pretty hard whack on those forks to cause that damage.

What a curious mix of parts. I bet it has an interesting story to tell.

Lovely place to start a build from. Looks like it's had a pretty hard whack on those forks to cause that damage.

What a curious mix of parts. I bet it has an interesting story to tell.
Owned from new, bought and ridden in the states mainly before being brought to the UK.

A big off caused the fork damage apparently 🤔, though I think they must have been brittle to break like that. Legs appear to be good, not scratched, just the crown and brace snapped :oops:
It's been sat outside under cover for years, so I'm hoping things will free up.
Seat post is out but I'll be periodically soaking/spraying other parts before I take any tools to it. BB very stiff currently, not investigated why yet.

I'll be needing a 1" stem and a new crown/steerer and brace that's for sure...

It’s officially in pieces now 😁
Will post pictures once I’ve got it back in the daylight.
The BB is exceptionally stiff so is in need of a service of some kind, perhaps replacement once I’ve gotten it out.
I can see there are c-clips both sides, but can anyone direct me to or tell me the procedure for removal/installation for this type please?

IMG_7874.jpeg

IMG_7871.jpeg

Fully stripped and cleaned, just a few parts left to clean. On the whole pretty much as expected, though I did spot that the front hub axle is bent - possibly as a result of the incident that caused the front end damage. I’ve left the headset cups in for now as may well use the XT headset it came with.
IMG_7881.jpeg

Going to need a new decal set as several are missing (headtube, seat tube and seat stays), and those that are in place are a little damaged.

The front end put up a fight during dismantling as the variable angle stem was stuck fast in the steerer, and due to the crown damage I couldn’t install a wheel or secure the front end down in order to apply any twisting action to free it. Luckily the headset undid without issue, and given the condition of the crown I decided not to waste much time trying to remove the quill - so just cut through it!
IMG_7878.jpeg

IMG_7879.jpeg

IMG_7880.jpeg

Next challenge will be to get tools to remove the BB as the bearings are almost entirely seized - can’t turn the spindle without cranks attached.

Back