1992 Marin Muirwoods Restoration

stokepa31

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi All

This is my first post on the forum. Inspired by some of the great piccies and discussions on here, I have decided to finally get round to doing a complete overhall of my Muirwoods.

I have attached some piccies so you can see stage one. The bike hs since been blasted and primed and is now at the paintshop for a black metallic finish before I build her back up.

I have got a NOS biopace crank set and a new 200gs front mech. may have to recondition the 200gs rear der as have had no luck with a NOS version.

I have a marin stem which was also blasted and will be in black metallic too.

Cable set will be in baby pink which I think will look sweet against the black. even managed to get some pink brake blocks and a pink cage.

My nod to modern times will be to replace the canties with deore V brakes and the flat bar with an easton riser variety. Have a bad back so an upright riding position is a must.

I am struggling with decals though. got some off ebay but although reasonable quality, I dont like the font. If anyone can help me with sourcing the original font, it would be greatly appreciated.

Am also not yet decided on a wheelset so any ideas for some would be welcomed.

will post more pics when she gets back from the paintshop but the exitement levels are rising fast in anticipation of the build.

Thanks for all the inspiration your work has provided.

Regards
Paul

Attachments

• marin.jpg
    marin.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 9,414
  • marin stripped.jpg
    marin stripped.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 9,414
Hi Paul
Nice to seem some love for a 'low end' Marin. I have a 1994 Muirwoods which was given to me and it's great.
You'll probably struggle getting hold of 200GS stuff, but you'll be able to get hold of LX or DX mechs from the same period pretty easily.
With regards to graphics gil-m is a good person to get in touch with for some repros. Benandemu has also got them on file. If you PM either of them they may be able to sort something out. You could even get them done in pink.

i have some low end sti's for sale if you are interested? click the for sale link in my sig. got to get me an old marin!

Seatpost question

Hi All

very excited now as the frame is coming back from the sprayshop tomorrow. The only thing i'm missing for the build is a new seat post and seat and some nice tyres

measuring the old seatpost (a push that is not the original) it seems to be 23.4. it has some scratching so might be a tad tight.

does anone know what the seatpost diameter was originally on a 92 muirwoods. i'm gussing it may be 23.2. 92 Marin cataloge juyst says 'Marin Lite 330mm'.

any help appreciated

will post pictures of the frame tomorrow.

Most early steel Marin frames are 26.4mm, and they're proving tough to find now.
Local bike shops will normally have a load of crappy old ones knocking around that you can try out first.

Benandemu":2u0t1h7h said:
Most early steel Marin frames are 26.4mm, and they're proving tough to find now.
Local bike shops will normally have a load of crappy old ones knocking around that you can try out first.

Slight technical error meant that i was not reading the vernier properly. it is indeed 26.4mm.

I was not taking the reading from opposite zero but rather the left edge. what a plonker. still - lesson learned!!

4 hours to collection whoo hoooo

Progress!!!

Well after a few false starts, I finally got cracking on the build today. Got the frame back on thursday from a local spray shop but there were a few bits which needed touching up. My mate has a sprayshop and he'd never done a frame before. Im really happy with the finish and the black metallic looks wicked in the sun. The BB shell had a lot of overspray so that was a big delay this morning. wire brush didnt really do the job so I had to go round the thread with a small screwdriver which was painfully slow going. With the BB fitted I made swift progress.

I have ummed and ahrrd over which way to go with the build it terms of whether to stick with period parts or modern. I have ended up with a mix.

to compliment the black I want to have a many contrasting pink parts as possible.

The stem in the picture will not be staying as i've managed to secure a nos hot pink marin one from the states which should be here soom. I will also be looking for a better quality seatpost and bars. Pedals are LX nos.

Im loving the pink Jagwire cable set that ive partially fitted and the pink brake pads too.

ill post again when i'm further along

Attachments

• cranks.jpg
    cranks.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 9,075
  • font.jpg
    font.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 9,072
  • rear mech.jpg
    rear mech.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9,070
  • frame 2.jpg