1991 Titanium Litespeed build thread

racecarjohnny

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
I remember seeing this bike in the magazines. Caught my attention. Saw lots of Litespeed road bikes, never did see one of these in person but the pictures in the mags left a mark. Purchased this frame a few months back from a great eBay seller in Sweden, the original owner. I’ve got the Litespeed BB in, crankset on and xt 741 headset in. Also have a fresh set of new decals from Gil too, just need to find the time to remove old, polish frame etc. Waiting on a few parts and it’s just too nice out right now to put much shop time in. Wanted to start a thread as this will make its way to BOTM someday. Seatpost is a place holder.

Attachments

• litespeed-mountain-1991-litespeed-ti-fork.jpeg
    litespeed-mountain-1991-litespeed-ti-fork.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7480.jpeg
    IMG_7480.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7477.jpeg
    IMG_7477.jpeg
    866.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7476.jpeg
    IMG_7476.jpeg
    581.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7475.jpeg
    IMG_7475.jpeg
    794.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7366.jpeg
    IMG_7366.jpeg
    776.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7258.jpeg
    IMG_7258.jpeg
    584.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Very nice frame set. It's just a shame that you want to polish the original surface. I think the patina suits the frame well.

Nice
Had one of these Marin badged.
Zzziiiiiiiiiiing.
That’s the sound of ti going fast across the landscape….

Had this:

1721382301055.jpeg

That went and the ti habit is now met by this:

1721382493312.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice frame set. It's just a shame that you want to polish the original surface. I think the patina suits the frame well.
Polish is probably too strong of word. How about “buff by hand” I like to clean frames up well before applying Gil’s decals. There’s a few scratches/scrapes of Patina that buffing won’t get. My build goal is always get the bike to as new as possible with the least amount of money.

For buffing, a tip. I bought for equal to £3 three pads of "fake scotchbrite" in red, at the "local walmart". Original costs 20 times as much I believe. Not UK, but you probably have similar shops there, its all from Chinah anyway.

Yes Litespeeds should be with those decals! OMG how nice.

This, and Deans with the Accutrax, yellow chain, and original multicolored "titanium", which seems only used for a year or so and very few specimens have survived.

For buffing, a tip. I bought for equal to £3 three pads of "fake scotchbrite" in red, at the "local walmart". Original costs 20 times as much I believe. Not UK, but you probably have similar shops there, its all from Chinah anyway.

Yes Litespeeds should be with those decals! OMG how nice.

This, and Deans with the Accutrax, yellow chain, and original multicolored "titanium", which seems only used for a year or so and very few specimens have survived.
The finish of the Titanium is unique. Much more of a flat finish than shiny like a Merlin. Thanks for the tip on pads. IMG_7521.jpeg

Back