1991 Tequesta Help...

Should the Tequesta be left original or be updated?

• Original?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Updated?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My first proper mtb was one of these – still think it was the best colour option they ever did. The suntour kit is perfectly serviceable, if a little clunky with the xpress shifters – keep your eye out for a set of suntour thumbies and it'll transform the shifting. you'll save half a pound if out switch out the steel handlebars (if I recall correctly), likewise the saddle is a bit of a lump (although quite comfy).

I found the suntour u-brake was a bit spongy compared to the shimano ones, probably 'cause of a lack of brace. You can see the brake bosses flexing if you squeeze hard. On the plus side they're lighter than the shimano equiv.

Change the brake levers though as the plastic blades are too bendy.

The frame was the same as the one used on the Karakoram (Tange MTB through out).

If only I could find an 18" one.

depends on what type of use it will get. If just for a gentle ride round the shops/local parks then I'd keep original. But if good off road riding then up date. :D

Crayons":15iaj18g said:
My first proper mtb was one of these – still think it was the best colour option they ever did. The suntour kit is perfectly serviceable, if a little clunky with the xpress shifters – keep your eye out for a set of suntour thumbies and it'll transform the shifting. you'll save half a pound if out switch out the steel handlebars (if I recall correctly), likewise the saddle is a bit of a lump (although quite comfy).

I found the suntour u-brake was a bit spongy compared to the shimano ones, probably 'cause of a lack of brace. You can see the brake bosses flexing if you squeeze hard. On the plus side they're lighter than the shimano equiv.

Change the brake levers though as the plastic blades are too bendy.

The frame was the same as the one used on the Karakoram (Tange MTB through out).

If only I could find an 18" one.

Thanks for that info - didnt realise it was the same as a Karakoram - would have thought that had a higher spec. Im going to try to get the original kit off and set up properly first - cleaning, new cables and lubrication should do the trick with that and then see where to go with it. The wife isnt particularly used to any shifters at the moment so I will see how she gets on with them.

Paul..

looks great. as mentioned above, i would make is as comfprtable and practical for her as possible. keep the original bits so you can always go back in the future.

I love that, Sure its not a 1990? 90-91 right era. I upgraded my later one in the end but to befair the basic stuff wan't that bad, yeah ya can sypatheitically store some of the original kit and upgrade to period kit. not sure how much lighter it would get though. I miss all of mine now including the crunchy Suntour gear chunky heavy bits!

Back