1991 Team Marin restoration - please help!

Birchy

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I have just realised a dream from my youth, and bought a decent 1991 Team Marin.

The aim is to ride it through to next year before taking it off the hills and restoring back to true former glory.

I have done a bit of research and would really appreciate your guys (and gals) help on the following:

Stripping paint - Has anyone had experience of shot / bead blasting their Cro-Moly frames / forks etc? This is the route I'm keen to explore but don't want to damage the frame.

Paint - I have done some research and seen the various posts on Zolatone grey paint, but none really seemed conclusive. Has anyone got hold of the exact paint / got close with some other paint that they could please share the details of with me?

Also, would it be better to powder coat the frame and forks / bars etc. or get them spray painted?

Handlebar grips - My grips (original) have been cut to accomodate some old X-Lite bar ends... does anyone know where I can get hold of a pair of original handlebar grips please (new or good condition secondhand)?

Saddle - As above, my original saddle leather is worn but the saddle itself is comfy! Was thinking of having it retrimmed but would then lose the Marin logo on the rear... does anyone know where I can get hold of an original saddle (new or good condition secondhand)?

Marin Lite bits - Would love all the Marin Lite bits... does anyone know where you can still get them / anyone have any lying around? Am also after a bottle cage... ideally pink as per Team Marin colours but will take any colour and try to get anodised in pink also.

Thanks in advance, all the best,

Ben[/b]

Hmm. Sounds like an ace project.
I have done up / renovated /restored loads of bikes over the years.
I'm on with my Courier now. I understand the desire for originality , but , it shouldnt be all consuming. It can literally mean you arent using your bike until that elusive part turns up , and/or when it does , as its been so elusive , you dont want to use it.
Does that make sense ?
Tyres for instance.
Upwards of £100 for a pr of Panaracer smokes. Cant use em.
Its not about settling for second best ., its about practicality regarding a 20yr old bike.

It started with the BMX lot I think. But theyre easier to get cock on. The drivetrains and bearings ; brakes whatever , were all standardised , pretty much , for years . Also the components didnt get used up at source and then superceded witha new years kit , like MTBs.
I'm struggling for a 6spd freewheel in a decent ratio. But I cant not ride it either. I think I'll just get a generic ( incorrect ) shimano.

I'd kinda suck it and see . Especially as a first attempt.
Theres loads of info about. Roll your sleeves up.

Good luck.

I am just about to re-paint a 1990 and a 1992 pine mountain, I also have a 1992 Team I might repaint next year. I like originality but these three have pretty bad paint.

I decided to forget about trying to recreate Zolatone, you might find pics of plain yellow Teams. I am going to go with plain fluoro yellow or maybe splatter on the Zolatone frame. I have all the paint to do the frames, so will be spraying them with 2pack.

If I was to get them sprayed/coated I would go with powder. The
coater will prep the frame.

Back