1991 Klein Pinnacle (finished on page 25)

Time for a change to my thread title possibly. I now believe my Pinnacle is a 1991 model, specifically a 19".

From the 1990 catalog there was no 19", the 20" has an 11.7" high BB and a 22" TT (measured c-c on a horizontal plane).
View attachment 672184

Now taking more time to measure in built up form the top tube is longer than 22" and BB" lower than 11.7" leading me to believe it's a 1991 19". Per the 1991 catalog:
View attachment 672185

With measuring tape/eyeballing, trying to keep the bike 100% straight up and down a 22.5" TT and 11.5" BB do line up.

One of the reasons I was certain it had to be a 1990 is the complete lack of threaded holes underneath the chainstays for mounting the 1990 introduced chainsuck protector plate. I'd have thought the threaded holes would have been standard in 1991. Possibly it was an option the customer could choose?
I had similar difficulty dating my Pinnacle, eventually I managed to deduce that it is in fact a 1991 model after being utterly convinced that it was a 1990 Elite. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/is-this-klein-legit.447274/ Some pics here that may be useful for comparison.

I had similar difficulty dating my Pinnacle, eventually I managed to deduce that it is in fact a 1991 model after being utterly convinced that it was a 1990 Elite. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/is-this-klein-legit.447274/ Some pics here that may be useful for comparison.
Yes, assuming your BB and TT measurements indicated similar values I think it's a safe way to date. I'd guess it's not that common for a bike maker to adjust the frame spec so much from one year to the next. Maybe the 1990 numbers are more similar to what was produced before 1990 with 1991 being the transition year. Looking at a 1992 catalog the Pinnacle from that year numbers match the 1991 model numbers.

Strange that the "Elite" version of the Pinnacle is not mentioned in the 1991 catalog but rather only the parts spec options. The Backfire paintjob is listed as a paint option though.

You have an outstanding Pinnacle there, I read the whole thing through a while back. Very mint/stock condition 👍

Yes, assuming your BB and TT measurements indicated similar values I think it's a safe way to date. I'd guess it's not that common for a bike maker to adjust the frame spec so much from one year to the next. Maybe the 1990 numbers are more similar to what was produced before 1990 with 1991 being the transition year. Looking at a 1992 catalog the Pinnacle from that year numbers match the 1991 model numbers.

Strange that the "Elite" version of the Pinnacle is not mentioned in the 1991 catalog but rather only the parts spec options. The Backfire paintjob is listed as a paint option though.

You have an outstanding Pinnacle there, I read the whole thing through a while back. Very mint/stock condition 👍
It's been ridden a lot this year, still looking nice but it's collected a few more chips and scratches plus some wear to the drive train. a cracking bike to ride, so much fun, as other posters in that thread mention, there's nothing like it on the climb or sprint, so rapid and responsive.

I'm still a steel lover at heart but these early Klein's really show what can be done with aluminium tubing when it's engineered expertly right at the edge of it's capabilities.

AFAIK you did not have to order the anti chainsuck plate specifically. It´s possible the customer chose to forgo the ACD, but unlikely. Chainsuck was widely discussed at that time.

But like other custom builders there was no hard cut off between model years, so possibly not yet implemented in series production if it is indeed a 1991 model. Or it´s a 1990 with 1991 geometry. Hard to know 100%.

Well, time for the final reveal! It’s very likely this spec will not change or not change much if it does, probably a tire swap at some point. I’m really happy with the result 😁😄

Many thanks to help and advice provided along the way @Dr Dremel, @pw_pw_la, @Imlach, @MuchAlohaNui and others

Special mention to some rowdy forum contributors who are not big Klein fans! The good natured back & forth made the journey all the more fun. @27motorhead I’d still like to see a photoshoped SupaKoolPinkKleinFinish fully built-up version if you’re game ;)

3M clear chainstay protector added. So nice to have wider bars courtesy of the Controltech Terminators.

Note, all purple ano removed from alloy spoke nipples, a big job on it’s own. I found a way to do it without taking the wheels apart and rebuilding :cool:

I received the “so called” 2.0 Innova tires, they are wire bead and only 480g. Not bad tires but to skinny for this build, they’ll get used on another I’m sure. I’m sticking with the 30 year old Mega Bites for now. Other than tired looking side walls they don’t have any signs of falling apart at all and look and ride great. They come with a 600g weight penalty compared to the Innovas but well worth it.

I managed to get in a quick shakedown ride up and down the back lane and it does go like stink! I love the feel and especially the fit. Love the way it rides on pavement, I’m looking forward to a proper shakedown spin in the dirt soon.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
20221020_230506026_iOS.jpg
20221020_230538449_iOS.jpg
20221020_230554694_iOS.jpg
20221020_230731486_iOS.jpg

Here’s the final build spec:

Frame: 1991 Klein Pinnacle, 19”
Fork: Spinner SCI

Headset: Campagnolo 1040/A
Stem/Handlebar: Klein MC1
Grips: Ritchey WCS TrueGrip

Cantilever Brakes: Shimano DX BR-M650
Brake Pads: Kool-Stop Eagle 2
Brake Cables/Housing: BBB/Stopline
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe SS-7

Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M732
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT RD-M735
Derailleur Cables: BBB/Shiftline
Cassette: Shimano CS-HG41-7
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Shimano XT FC-M730
Crank Bolts: Steel
Chainrings: Sugino/Shimano/Real (46/36/24)
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Klein
Pedals: Shimano XT PD-M735

Hub Skewers: Control Tech bolt-on (steel inners)
Rims: Mavic 230 SBP (32 Hole)
Hubs: Shimano XT HB-M737/FH-M737 (modified to 7 speed 130mm)
Nipples: Aluminum
Spokes: Asahi Double butted
Tires: Vittoria Spinx 2.0
Tubes: Generic

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite (96’)
Seatpost: Syncros Hard Core
Seatpost Binder: Control Tech Titanium

Weight: 22 lbs (9.97 kg)

Last edited:
@Canuckbiker that is bloody awesome!!! :cool:💪👌

Can you care to remind me, who were the fools who told you to leave it in a half finish state and just sprinkle some crusty Spray.Bike clear coat over the top and it was job done?!* 😜🤣
@27motorhead I’d still like to see a photoshoped SupaKoolPinkKleinFinish fully built-up version if you’re game ;)
It would be a pleasure to do that. Luckily you've taken a nice drive side shot of it in its SupaKoolPinkKleinFinish so should be able to overlay with them gorgeous shots above!

Good to hear it goes like stink. Sounds like a Klein to me!

Back