1991 Klein Pinnacle (finished on page 25)

This is a great thread and I've really enjoyed the journey so far.

I have an 80's Mountain Klein project that is currently on pause, partly because this thread forced me to rethink my plans, instead of leaving the bike bare metal I will probably now have to attempt to emulate your amazing paint job feat 👍

So thanks for nothing 😔 😉

I have an 80's Mountain Klein project that is currently on pause, partly because this thread forced me to rethink my plans, instead of leaving the bike bare metal I will probably now have to attempt to emulate your amazing paint job feat 👍

I vote for Turd brown with sparkles.

I've been following your thread and enjoying it long before I bumped into my Pinnacle opportunity. Trust me, I was really wondering why I didn't just polish the frame mid way through the paint process but glad I persevered.

Hopefully my paintjob journey details will be helpful and less painful went you take the plunge 👍 😁

If you’re going to go through with the effort at least consider corn-flecks instead of sparkles.

Aside from that, OP still needs to nail the decals then consider clear coating over those or not. Then (ominous music), building the bike without scratching the new paint!
Patience is not my strong point, I built it up about 90% last night. No plans for clear coat over the decals. While it is the best approach decals on top will suffice for me. They are nice quality with individual letters (no clear surround). Too much risk for me, if I cleared over them and botched the decals or finish it would be too much to bear.

I was successful building last night without scratches, etc and I'm over the moon with how it's coming. All that's left are decals, FD, chain and final tuning 😁

Time for a change to my thread title possibly. I now believe my Pinnacle is a 1991 model, specifically a 19".

From the 1990 catalog there was no 19", the 20" has an 11.7" high BB and a 22" TT (measured c-c on a horizontal plane).
1990.JPG

Now taking more time to measure in built up form the top tube is longer than 22" and BB" lower than 11.7" leading me to believe it's a 1991 19". Per the 1991 catalog:
1991.JPG

With measuring tape/eyeballing, trying to keep the bike 100% straight up and down a 22.5" TT and 11.5" BB do line up.

One of the reasons I was certain it had to be a 1990 is the complete lack of threaded holes underneath the chainstays for mounting the 1990 introduced chainsuck protector plate. I'd have thought the threaded holes would have been standard in 1991. Possibly it was an option the customer could choose?

Back