1991 Klein Pinnacle (finished on page 25)

thanks for the feedback @Imlach, good to know. I'm sure with practice a person could produce much better results, was a bit of a risk to go all in. I'll be doing a test sample before going at the full frame with my next set of ordinary cans 👍

Maybe do sanded green and pink at this point, wet sanded with 1000 then 1500 then 2000. Decal the bike then apply three to five coats of clear, never allowing the clear to dry. Let cure for a week. Finish with wet sanding then polish.

Your picture shows a problem with the paint mixture being off within the can and/or the paint to some extent is drying semi solid in mid air before bonding to the surface. When you rub your finger over the surface does material crumble off?
spray.bike advised me to do only one coat of white and I think this may have made me feel comfortable laying it on thicker than I should have. Some parts I think were applied too thick but I was painting using the technic I normally use while staying 2" away as best I could (not the way I normally do it using standard paint). I believe the crustyness becomes worse if you are not close enough. Sections like the chainstay bridge could not be smoothed out no matter what was tried, sanding lightly or using a finger nail to try removing particle build up would sometimes take all the colour off, waiting to reapply would only reproduce the same concerning crustyness.

Like I said, I'm sure there are techniques which would produce and acceptable result but at this point I'm moving on. Almost back to the beautiful rat rod version already :LOL:

I'm bent on still going after the best smooth full fluro green finish I can manage

while staying 2" away as best
This is where the problem lies, especially on intricate junctions like the BB & rear triangle! It's just not possible. The frame looks like it's been sat in a spray both and had a years worth of overspray dumped onto the seat stay / BB junction...

Wow! That stuff looks and sounds like a nightmare to use. I’ve only done small items but managed good results with Rustolium and project paint. I think the colour range is quite limited though.

Wow! That stuff looks and sounds like a nightmare to use. I’ve only done small items but managed good results with Rustolium and project paint. I think the colour range is quite limited though.
Spray.bike is overpriced but have good marketing and they get their grubby painted hands involved everywhere, sending cans to YouTuber's that do builds and force them to use it at gun point, sending primed henchmen to their place of residence if they don't indulge in a can or ten.

This is where the problem lies, especially on intricate junctions like the BB & rear triangle! It's just not possible. The frame looks like it's been sat in a spray both and had a years worth of overspray dumped onto the seat stay / BB junction...
yep, they are tougher areas but I've always managed with standard paint. It is a good reminder though when I go back in with standard paint to go as light as possible in them

Tough colour to find, no autobody shop in town is interested in helping so far

Spray.bike is overpriced but have good marketing and they get their grubby painted hands involved everywhere, sending cans to YouTuber's that do builds and force them to use it at gun point, sending primed henchmen to their place of residence if they don't indulge in a can or ten.
I believe you are correct that the marketing is well done, and those youtubers are sucking in unsuspecting suckers like me!

I believe you are correct that the marketing is well done, and those youtubers are sucking in unsuspecting suckers like me!
So, I purchased Spray.bike before they got hyped by bigger build channels. Oldshovel is the worst culprit here, he's pushing their products like a turd that's been stuck for months while he's been priming himself for release, consuming nothing but lentils and beans. Can't stand the guy anyway. But yeah, I bought it in its early days and I was very excited by their 'powdercoat' in a can pitch. To my understanding, spray.bike is formulated like most grafitti paints - and then sold at a much higher price because it's got 'bike' in the name. Bike specific shite always costs a fortune.

My favourite review was an earlier one by a Northern Irish fella who basically said it isn't durable and you should be happy that there's so much in a can so you can keep touching it up.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go as far as saying that about yourself. You thought you made an informed decision. Knowing everything about something is impossible and unrealistic and I am a strong believer in sunk cost fallacy.

Back