1990 Specialized Hardrock Comp

AK74

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I know a Specialized Hardrock Comp isn't particularly exotic, but the one pictured below is 100% original. I bought it from Geoffrey Butler Cycles in the summer of 1990*, used it for a few years, and then left it at my parents house circa 1995. I brought it out for the first time in years this morning, gave it a clean and 'hey presto'.

I had planned to ride it in the retro class at the upcoming Brighton Big Dog, but it would appear as if the event is now full. There's always next year I guess....

Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Alex

*or possibly 1991 (my memory is playing tricks!)

1990 Specialized Hardrock Comp

IMG_0272.jpg

Looks like its been in a time capsule! Nice looking bike I reckon. Are they specialized branded tyres? They look ace.

Thanks for your reply. The bike is not mint condition, but it's in very good shape for something that's 20 years old. There are a few marks here and there (but nothing major), and some light corrosion on the alloy parts (most of which I've already been able to clean up). It rode perfectly on the quick shakedown ride I took around the block earlier.

The tyres are Specialized Hardpack. As they're the originals, I probably should replace them if I'm going to use the bike with any semblance of regularity, as I'm sure the compound will have deteriorated over time.

nice looking spesh- I have the non-comp version in the garage, not sure what the difference would be, yours looks in great shape.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I finally gave the bike its first proper run-out yesterday (at Friston Forest). It behaved impeccably in the mud and slime, and was the only retro machine in the group (everyone else was on late-model XC machines with newfangled suspension and disc brakes). However, this didn't prove to be an impediment, and it tackled the snottiest climbs and descents without difficulty. For something that was built a long time ago and came from the lower end of the price range, I was delighted with how it performed. Just brilliant fun.

great bike, I love the colour of it. And very nice that it rides so well! Sometimes if your expectations are not that high, you can be surprised. I recon you need to work a bit harder on a retrobike, but that can be more fun in my experience.

i have 2 Hardrock comps (late 90s though) although not the most sought after, i do like the Specialized ranges from that decade. This one is no exception. Love the simplicity of the frame and the skinwalls :) - and well done for keeping it somewhere safe for so long! ;)
its even got the plastic tubing running along the top tube cable:)

Back