1990 Diamond Back Apex build thread - £10 Marketplace find

Did it have a cup and cone bb?

I have just got the fixed cup out of my 87 Ascent, courtesy of an expensive park tool, but I am struggling with the adjustable cup, not sure what size socket it is and its a very low profile surface.

Sheldon brown said to use a bolt with a few screws on it, but I was thinking about using a box spanner, just not sure what size to buy!
Hi, yes it did. Thankfully both BB cups unscrewed fairly easily on this one, the outer retaining ring (screwed onto the BB cup) with notches was freed with a single notch multi purpose 'C Spanner'. Note though...these are very temperamental and can cause damage to the single notch on the cup outer ring you decide to yank on, so I always file the notch edge on the spanner that makes forcible contact with the cup outer ring notch to ensure it is as straight edged and has a point as possible. Out of the box the spanner notches always seem to be slightly rounded where they contact the cup outer ring notch which lowers mechanical advantage, ends up wearing on the cup notch and almost always jumping out of the cup notch not even a quarter strength of turn into trying.

The inner cup (screwed into the BB shell) with small holes facing outwards is easier than the above, as long as you're patient with the appropriately adjustable pin spanner.

Hopefully nothing is lost with translation from my head to page here!

I dont suppose you still have the original chainrings and if you do would you sell them ?. It's particularly the outer I'm interest in. Cheers

Nice to see another Apex of this vintage. I've had 2 myself, inspired by a friend that had one, new back in 1990.

The 92 Apex was the model I was bought new, in 92 obv. I had the Black Forest Spangle colourway. Yes long TT.
IMG_3847 (1).jpg
Same! I've now put a 1x10 and decent wheelset on mine; this is a pic on the day I picked it up for £75 in almost unridden condition. Will have to get a pic of it in current form

Back