1988 Panasonic PICS Titanium

zeringer

Dirt Disciple
Still in "arrival clean up mode" with a few changes in store but she's a real beauty.

What I find most curious is that for several years I have heard/read rumors that Sumitomo had actually built the Titanium frames for Panasonic. While plausible, it does seem a bit strange to me that a company with as much frame building experience would decide to outsource the production of their Ti frames. I can certainly see them sourcing the Ti tubing from Sumitomo since they were experts in Titanium but letting them build them too? Hmmm

I've been analyzing many beautiful pictures of Sumitomo Ti bikes and others such as the Fuji Ti frames which you can easily tell were rebranded Sumitomo frames. When I try to compare them with the Panasonic Ti frame there are too many changes. Anyone else out there that is better versed in Titanium frames of the 80's that might be able to shed some light on the subject?

Attachments

• 88PICS01.JPG
    88PICS01.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 960
  • 88PICSTi02.JPG
    88PICSTi02.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 960
  • 88PICSTi03.JPG
    88PICSTi03.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 960
  • 88PICSTi04.JPG
    88PICSTi04.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 960
  • 00303_gKKINR2notf_600x450.jpg
    00303_gKKINR2notf_600x450.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 959
shogun":jp03ytaz said:
Very classy! What's the rebuild plan?

Well, for now I intend to pick up some 600 Ultegra brakes to replace the 105 units that came on the bike. That will get it fairly consistent overall. Longer term I could see converting it to period correct Dura Ace or perhaps even Campy.

Re:

Hi mate
Another beautiful addition to the collection.
Have you tried making contact with someone from Panasonic management back in the eighties?
I know from experience how hard it can be to research something from Japan relating to a corporate product but you never know your luck. It just takes that one person with the same passion.

Keep em coming ;)

Jamie

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":19w6rpq6 said:
Hi mate
Another beautiful addition to the collection.
Have you tried making contact with someone from Panasonic management back in the eighties?
I know from experience how hard it can be to research something from Japan relating to a corporate product but you never know your luck. It just takes that one person with the same passion.

Keep em coming ;)

Jamie

I actually do know the former national sales manager for Panasonic Bicycles (Norman) here in the USA. He was very helpful in providing many of the catalog archives you see on the web site. You can read more about him here if you haven't already seen it.
http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/categor ... panasonic/

The only problem is that Norman left Panasonic before the Ti frames came along so he's not able to give me any insider info on them. :(

I'm pretty persistent so I am sure eventually I'll track someone down that knows the truth. Trying to get a lead on the guy who replaced Norman in hopes he can fill in the blanks.

Back