1988 Brodie Climbmax Fillet Brazed

Rad find! One day I'll finally own a fillet brazed frame :D

The down tube cable guide is in the perfect (and normal) location for a chainstay mounted U-brake. Maybe during the frame's life it's had the brake location moved. Not sure why there's no top tube cable guides though! Weird....

Re:

Isn't there a Provincial law that states citizens of British Columbia are allowed to own up to 5 fillet brazed Brodie frames? :)

Great catch Roy.

Re:

okay ,time to get a bit serious again. this frame was built july 4th 1988.

been going over it very carefully. I found a paint run. I believe it was repainted
at some point. but this might have been it's original colour. painted stem is original in my opinion.
the smoke on the stem is classic `paint by rich'. rich was pauls first painter.
the purple smoke goes well with the purple frame colour.
here is an example of some of rich's smoke paint work.

I was waiting to see what others would say about the cable routing. I am in total
agreement with walleater. this was once a u-brake under the chainstay frame.
even though there is no sign of the modification on the stays. a good job was done of
removing the u-brake posts. this mod might have been done quite early on in the bike's life too.
reason I say this is because of the decals. early, early brodie design. owner must have had access
to stock. possibly thru paul. or he lifted them off before repaint and reapplied them afterwards.
only thing I can think goes against this theory is the lack of cable stop in the mod. only reason
I can think of is owner decided to use vee brakes and continuous housing from lever to brake.

my plans now are to eventually change it back to original design. cabling will then be as tony's
jellybean paintjob romax. also done by rich. check out the cable routing and see if you agree with me.

Attachments

• romax425b.jpg
    romax425b.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 591
  • romax425c.jpg
    romax425c.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 591
  • TJB.jpg
    TJB.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 591
Is that a pump peg on the top-underside of the left hand seat stay then? Weird. You could easily do a pulley redirect to the brakes, but it is strange. stripping the paint off the bottom of the chain-stays should show evidence of removal. I would suspect there might be a tiny bit of brass left from the previous mounts.

Back